ABB drives Ethernet

Alan Case

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi, I have inherited a project started by others a couple of years ago. 2 ABB VFDs were purchased along with 2 RETA ethernet/IP fieldbus adaptors (same order number and delivered together)
They were never able to get the ethernet working so modbus was used.
The site is being upgrade and the ethernet needs to be resurrected.
Comms to 1 VFD works perfectly (drive firmware version 2.06) but the other drive is very iffy on the comms (firware version 2.04)
According to the ABB website the VFD firmware needs to be a minimum of 2.06 to work correctly with the ethernet fieldbus adaptor.
Does anyone know if it is possible to field flashupgrade an ACS 550 VFD to a later version. I know it cannot go to the latest as the hardware is definitely different.
Regards Alan Case