S7 to ControlLogix - Ethernet

Mike_RH

Lifetime Supporting Member
First, yes I have done a search :D
The standard answers seem to be use PROFIBUS.

However, If possible, I would like to setup communications over Ethernet. I have done it in the past via PROFIBUS with the ControlLogix as a slave.

Any hardware recommendations and / or sample code?

Thanks

Mike

Simatic: S7-300 or S7-400?
S7-3?? + CP 343-1 Lean 6GK7 343-1CX00-0XE0. UDT supported.
S7-3??-PN/DP no UDT supported, so cant use multi- or broadcast connections.
Use AG_SEND and AG_RECV from Example Library SIMATIC_NET_CP

It will be with a S7-300.
What interface at the ControlLogix side (ENBT / ENET / EWEB)?

Do you have sample code?

Thanks

JRW said:

Looking at that gateway device, it solves the issue of S7-300 Ethernet communicating to Contrologix and Contrologix communicating to the S7-300 via ethernet.

But, the data transfers are limited to INT (16 bits ) only. If I had a choice to transfer blocks of data back and forth 16 bits at a time, I would go with Profibus.

Mike_RH said:
What interface at the ControlLogix side (ENBT / ENET / EWEB)?..Thanks
I don't know CL, so if there is "Socket" (IP and Port) Connection, it sounds good. Block send and receive needed as well as in Simatic AG_SEND/AG_RESV.
I have Simatic examples:
- Interlocks and messages between PLCs (Interval), Multicast/UDP.
- Message only (COS), Socket/TCP.
Please send your email address.

Last edited:
Yes, a direct ethernet connection is possible with sockets. I even think there are someone on this forum that has accomplished it - or was that on mrplc.com, or was it on sps-forum.de ?
Anyway, it is only possible with the EWEB module, not the ENBT.

Thanks for the replies.
I think I will go scrounge up an EWEB module and see if I can get this to work.