PanelView 300 outside

I'm new to the PLC game. I've been waiting for the boss to green light a PLC on a project since 1999...

We're going with a MicroLogix 1200 (1762-L40AWA, I believe, 40 I/O, 120VAC) with a Panel View 300. Originally we were looking at the Pico (nice little unit that I got the program done in an afternoon or so), but exceeded the I/O count (well, the output count at 7 motors, a solenoid valve, alarm strobe and 5 lights for different alarms). The boss didn't want to chain the Pico GFX models together.

The problem we have is that this is mounted in a NEMA 12 enclosure outside and the PV300 is not rated for outdoors. The rep has recommended using a window kit on the enclosure. We're already significantly over the low budget the boss put into the project for controls. We'll be well over 100% over budget with the window kit and 24VDC power supply for the PV300.

The other problem with the window kit is that it will be using valuable real estate on the panel doors which already will have switches and lights, disolved oxygen controllers and flow meters.

According to the rep, the main issue is the UV damaging the PV300 display and not water. Temperature extremes look to be 17F-115F (Livermore, CA).

The boss is at the point of returning the PV300 as we need to spend about $400 for the window kit and power supply (reps never mentioned the extra $120 for the power supply after I made it clear we were running all 120VAC.) :mad: (If those numbers give you an idea of how cheap the boss was wanting to do this for. The original PLC idea was greenlighted based on a sub-$200 PLC cost...)

So I guess my question is, would some kind of hood work instead of the door kit? Or is there an equivelent display out there that would work outside. The cabinet will be facing east (morning sun).

I do want to say that I spent the weekend off and on finding lots of good information on the site. Found a great idea of how to do an "hour meter" with a counter and timer.

I better post this before it turns into a novel.

If you're flexible on the brand of HMI you may want to consider a G3 unit from Red Lion. I have used them with Micrologix PLCs with great results. I believe each of their models has an outdoor-rated version. The smallest unit (G303) sells for about $600 but the programming software is free.

My question is what is the current rating of the motors? Are you using an interposing relay to control them? A PICO controller has relatively hefty contact ratings compared to ML1200 I believe.
I get the feeling that this project wasn't well planned when it comes to devices and cost. Maybe you need a new boss.
One thing you need to check is readability of the display panel in the brightest conditions. We tried to save money by not using a couple of outdoor rated PV600+. The project manager was the one that wanted to save money. Yea, several hundred bucks out of $80k, idiot. Well we tried by positioning the enclosures to the north (NW Ohio) and sunshields. Sort of worked but at times almost unreadable. At least the PV's are not essential for the operation as they mimic the panel lights and show alarms. We did NOT do the original design. I was given the task of programming way after the design and to save money. Idiots. Whatever you go with you better make sure operators can read it in the morning sun. Hmm, how about an old radar operators hood?
Good luck.

kolyur:

Thanks for the heads up on the Red Lion. I've seen them mentioned around the site.

John:

We are using using AB 100-C contactors to control the motors.
(4) 25HP 100-C43D10
(2) 10HP 100-C16D10
(1) 1HP 100-C09D10
(1) SOV via an ice cube relay. SQ.D #8501RS41
I can't locate a load for the contactors themselves. The relay is 9VA inrush and 1.5VA sealed.

Heard back from the supplier today and they speced the A-B 100-FSC280 suppressors for the contactors and said I could pick up an MOV at a local electronics place or I could go to Radio Shack (and get a blank stare) for the relay.

It really wasn't planned that well at all. It got delayed about a year then "we're ready for you guys to start Monday." We're working based on specs from another job for the same customer at a different facility. And those specs came from an engineer who designed the system (wastewater ponds). (We've already redesigned what they did for the electrical.)

I see the boss complain about other people trying to skimp by then see him do the same. :whistle:

So far it looks like we'll still be sending the PV back...if they'll take it.