AB Multiple Problems

swhite65

System includes a couple of Contrologix L63 processors with E2NT modules, EWEB module, Hirschmann managed switches, 6 Panelview plus, using latest version of RSLogix 5000, RSLinx Enterprise, and RSView Studio. Problems arose with trying to download to a couple of the panelviews. PC has Windows XP sp2.

Probably a PC issue but here are some of the problems:

1. Occassionally, during a session, RSView will give the message "This product has not been activated.". This is after seeing that it has been upon opening the software.

2. While setting up comms, the computer will lock up any time you try to browse for the processor. Soft-boot won't even get out of it.

3. When trying to download, drilling down to the HMI will lock up the computer.

Help from the local AB distributor has resulted in trying another PC in the morning. Wondered if anyone has experienced similar problems and identified any specific causes other than generic file corruption in Windows. System was running fine with 2 panelviews online. Thanks for any info or suggestions.

It sounds like the browsing functions that are apparently "locking up" the PC are from RSLinx Enterprise, configured within RSView Studio. Do you get the same behavior when browsing for controllers using RSLinx Classic ?

You mentioned "latest versions"; does this mean the CPR9 versions of FactoryTalk View Studio and RSLinx Enterprise ?

I remember you also posted about a very large number of AC drives on this system's Ethernet/IP network. Have you checked with a protocol analyzer to be certain your PanelView terminals and your PC are not being exposed to the UDP Multicast traffic from those drives and the other EtherNet/IP I/O devices on the network ?

Thanks for the reply. On the earlier post about the large number of drives....the snooping setting had been turned on but not saved in eeprom so was not active on the following power ups. This was corrected and solved the response issues with drives. I have forwarded your questions to the programmer but I am fairly certain that everything is up to date as we have been taking full advantage of our maintenance agreement. So all software and firmware issues were addressed to make sure the latest versions were in use. Both technical support from AB and the local distributor application guy were at a loss at the end of the day and resorted to trying a new pc. I am not sure if RSLinx Classic has been tried.

The Hirschmann configurations have been arrived at based on previous battles with a similar system with over 100 more ethernet connections. So I don't think it is a traffic problem. But these should be checked and not taken for granted that they are correct for the application.