operator interface suggestions

bob1371

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello
I have 10 CNC machines that our company would like to have cycle counters from each output to one operator interface. They want cheap, so i am looking at that. Maybe just have one input from each machine to a small PLC and then to a operator interface. From this interface I will need to reset both shift and daily counters.
I am looking at the Direct View 1000 from automation direct and also the DL-06 PLC. This will give a little future expansion and I believe will do what I need. The price isnt bad.
The question I have, Does anyone have any good/bad experience with the Direct View 1000. Is there another recomendation that I may want to look at.

Thanks for any info/help

Bob

The DL-06 is an excellent choice... (y)

The DV-1000 in my opinion is outdated. It works similar to the old AB DTAM displays, where it's just a 'dumb' terminal (it has no application program). You have to do more programming in the PLC to use it (though it's not that difficult).

A better choice might be an EZ-Text or Optimate panel. Besides being cheaper, they are better suited for you application. I've been using a lot of EZ-Texts lately, but I'm thinking about reverting back to the Optimates. The EZ-Texts are the latest, but I don't exactly like these 'latest' features (things like 'local messages' are IMO useless). Oh, and that futuristic bezel shape just too tacky for me... :rolleyes:

You can also keep costs down by using the Optimates. The configuration software (OP-WINEDIT) is only US$26, where the EZ-Text software is US$139 (still dirt cheap though!)... :cool:

If you need local control to select/reset your counters, pick the OP-420. If you're looking for display ONLY, go with the OP-440. Actually, for display only, you could stick a D0-06LCD display panel right on the front of the DL-06 for US$59, though you'll have to put a window in your enclosure so you can see it! ;)

beerchug

-Eric

Opti-mate's

I agree opti-mates would certainly do a Great job. I use the 1500's never had a problem. Just make sure all the protocals match. Also the optimates are only capable of 9600bps so dont expect fast updates.

Re: Opti-mate's

mnehez said:
Also the optimates are only capable of 9600bps so dont expect fast updates.

9600bps is the default, but all the Optimates I've used can run 19.2kbps (when connected to a Koyo). In any case, don't let this scare you Bob. I understand what mnehez means, but 'slow' is a relative term. 9600bps is considered 'slow' when compared to 19.2 or 38.4kbps... ;)

More 'relative' things...

I remember when I got my first 1200bps dial-up modem to replace a 300baud. "Wow, this is so FAST now!"... :rolleyes:

I also remember when an audio cassette player (anyone remember cassettes?) was the only method to back up PLC programs. And that wasn't very long ago (relatively speaking)... :D

Now we complain that T1 lines and cable modems just aren't fast enough... :oops:

beerchug

-Eric

As long as we're on the subject of 'I rememebr when....'

I got taken to task on another forum for expressing a lack of sympathy for a poster who complained about having to 'lug his laptop' out to the PLC to debug programs or download changes. I told him that I could remember celebrating the day a 50 pound Compaq replaced the 90 pound dedicated programmer. The guy responded that he was seeking serious answers, not a history lesson.

I remember one of those 50+ lb programmers (laptops).
Speed isnt a real problem here as the machine have 6 minute cycle times.
thanks again

Bob

You could use a Siemens TD200 2 line 20 char per line for a low cost solution. This runs about $180 including a connecting cable.

A PLC with 14 in and 10 out would be S7-224 and runs about $265 and is fully expandable with digital/analog/ethernet capabilities. The 224 is available for use on systems between 90V and 265V AC and has a built in 24V DC Power Supply for it's inputs and for powering the operator interface.

If you want a better touch screen the Siemens TP070 costs something like $420 plus a $20 cable and is really easy to program. :p