Level sensor

venkat1604

Can anybody tell how a Magnetic level sensor tell the liquid percentage in a water tank? The magnetic level sensor uses the roller type magnets in which a float rolls inside the pipe. The level can also be seen visually. But the same is also being displayed. I just want to know how this magnetic signals is converted to display as percentage?

Last edited:
Can you define Magnetic level sensor I know of a rough way of doing this as we have a system that give a visual level indication.

Jezz

Omega Engineering and others have sight tubes with an analog output signal - they generally use LVDTs, or variable capcitance, or similar transducers in addition to the float.

A "poor man's" alternate could be to use a series of proximity switches to pick up the float at various points in the sight gauge, and get a stepped level indication. It depends on how much resolution you need, etc.

Hi Venkat 1604,

Nice question, I've never heard about magnetic leveltransmitters. We always use ultrasonic, radar or hydrostatic (pressure) transmitters for measuring tanklevels.
Is there anyone out there who can explain the principle?

Thanks in advance

magnetic S N
------------======== Re-magnetic part
========-----------

<--Rem S [N S] Rem N--> Actuator magnet

When actuator passes right it remagnetize lower left contact to N-pole and contact opening and vise versa...
Upper contact is magnetic ( unchangeable ).

Magnetic switches, read-relays in pneumatic cylinders, level measure equipments. Tom: they are not cheap, but out of date as you let understand.

Last edited:
Peter has given a very good link.

I have used Temposonic devices in many applications and have nothing but praise for the product, Excellent.

To answer your question, the unit will most likely give you a 4-20ma or voltage range signal.
In your PLC you can take a 4-20ma or voltage signal and config the engineering units to display 0-100%.

Roger

Last edited: