IP Addresses

randy

Supporting Member
I'm looking for software that will help me organize and have easy access to my different IP addresses for our equipment. I am always going to the Network in Control and configuring the address for that particular piece of equipment.

Thanks

rmonroe

Why don't you put them on the same network? What we do for most of our clients is add an extra ethernet card too the rack for plant network. The first ethernet card supplies a local network for any remote racks or drives...ect this help prevent to much traffic on the local nework allowing it to run really fast. I Know that may not be an option for you but if you do any upgrades in the future....

That has been considered, but as you known those types of items for IT departments are low priorities. So for now I need to organize myself to access the deferent controllers easily.

Anyway...our IT department is moving to a deferent building and is in the proccess of upgrading. So it will be a long time until they focus on the Maintenance department.

I don't know of a prgram that will manage the adresses. Only thing i can think of is making an excel spreadsheet and hope you don't have to access them very much. sorry not much help!

Have a look a the netsh command, you can then dump your config to a text file, then create a batch file containing the text file.

When you need to change IP address simply double click the batch.exe and its done.

I also add an ipconfig command with a pause to check everything has completed properly.

Hope this helps

STL??? said:
Wow! Cool.

I been doing this by hand all the times and then this comes alone.

Thanks for the hint STL :)

Now the command that only shows the actual network setting is showin a lot less than the dumped file. Reading the file I've seen lots of open i.e. accessible stuff.

Gotta learn all that this means.

Thanks again.

Now, will I need to do a "Repair" of the network com link after I have used the text file with the netsh exec > command or will it just reset itself?

Last edited:
Hi Pierre,
I've never had to use "repair", so i i'd say it sorts itself out,

To go one step further, i would call each of your text files in a seperate batch file:

1. open notepad
2. add your dump file with netsh exec command
3. then save as .bat

Here's an example:

netsh exec "C:\IP Change\IBH.txt"

ipconfig /all

Pause

When you want to change - double click your .bat file

Ipconfig confirms the change

then the pause will hold it on screen until you press any key

Last edited:
randy said:
That has been considered, but as you known those types of items for IT departments are low priorities. So for now I need to organize myself to access the deferent controllers easily.

Anyway...our IT department is moving to a deferent building and is in the proccess of upgrading. So it will be a long time until they focus on the Maintenance department.

This somewhat bothers me.
Automation is not IT. Yes there are layers of similarity, but they should be considered different entities. The control network should be isolated from the admin (email, printing, filesharing, internet) network.
You should have an isolated control network for your PLC's, HMI's, Historians, etc. With modern advancements, a computer can have multiple Lan cards to allow for connectivity to both control networks for data retrieval, and for the admin networks for virus protection updates, security updates, domain authentication, etc.

Your company should be employing or installing a S95 compliant network. If they aren't, then they will continue to have issues and troubles - this can take down control networks.

You may be best of using DHCP with reserved addresses based on MAC address. Then you'd need to maintain a spreadsheet of hosts with hardware addresses. You can then change addresses and view scopes centrally.

randy said:
I'm looking for software that will help me organize and have easy access to my different IP addresses for our equipment. I am always going to the Network in Control and configuring the address for that particular piece of equipment.

Thanks

rmonroe

Here is a batch file that switches between static and dynamic that I wrote just the other day to do what you are looking for. The choice.com file is required to use the choice command in dos.
http://www.daniel-hertrich.de/wwwlx/choice.com

@echo off

set IPADDRESS=172.16.1.52

:BEGIN
CLS
REM netsh interface ip show config
echo.
echo.
echo Select 1 for DHCP
echo Select 2 for Static (172.16.1.??)
echo Select 3 to EXIT
echo.
CHOICE /N /C:123 Enter choice:

IF ERRORLEVEL == 3 GOTO END
IF ERRORLEVEL == 2 GOTO STATIC
IF ERRORLEVEL == 1 GOTO DHCP
GOTO END
:STATIC
netsh interface ip set address "Local Area Connection" static %IPADDRESS% 255.255.255.0 172.16.1.10 none

GOTO END
:DHCP
netsh interface ip set address "Local Area Connection" dhcp
GOTO END

:END
PAUSE
EXIT