Encoder Conversions

sgates

I thank all of you for your past help and appreciate your patience with my questions. This is most likely a simple question but I need help; due to the fact I have not programmed encoder units. Two weeks ago, my employer informed me that I was to program a control system for a Flywheel generator. Everything was going well until I was told the system had an encoder to tell the system that the generator was at the right frequency. My question is how to I convert the encoder data to a frequency output date. The system I am using is an Allen Bradley 1769-L35E revision 16 with a 1769-HSC module. Please if anyone could help, I have four days left to make it work.

Not sure how easy or hard configuration of this bad boy is but once you have it configured, getting the frequency should be easy.

Here's a blurb from the manual (Publication 1769-UM006A-EN-P - March 2002)

Cyclic Rate Calculation Method (Current Rate)
The module continuously calculates rates for each of its four possible
counters, regardless of operational mode (e.g. up/down count). The
32-bit signed integer rate from each counter is reported in the
Ctr[n].CurrentRate words of the Input Array.
In this method, the rates are calculated at the end of a counter’s
configured cycle time. This is configured via the
CtrnCyclicRateUpdateTime configuration word/menu. Valid entries
are +1 to 32767 milliseconds. The number of net counts, net change in
Ctr[n].CurrentCount, during that period is converted into a rate value,
providing an average pulse rate.
The generalized rate calculation is: Rate = D count/ D time.
The cyclic method is better suited to high pulse rates.