Remote I/O Newbie

plgrooms

Hey everyone. Let me start by saying that I am a newbie to all PLC programming. The powers to be assumed since I am the IT Manager that I can do PLC's.
The problem:

SLC5/03 processor with a 1747-SN in slot 12.
1794-ASB w/1794-PS-13
1794-IA16/TB-3
1794-IA16/TB-3
1794-OA16/TB-3

How do I even begin with this? I have RSLOgix 500 configured for the 1747-SN but do not fully understand the DIP settings and the Group/G-file. Can someone help me?

what is the problem? is that system stopped working? or are you looking to add this?

rslogix 500 will be all you need to program this system.

There are plenty of guys who can help you with this, but first off, you have a mixed bag here. The SLC 5/03 has to be in an I/O rack with associated power supply and the 1747-SN has to be in a slot in that same rack. Now, that other hardware you have is called Flex I/O and can be made to operate with the other stuff via the remote I/O link that the SN module will allow you to have. Take a look on the www.AB.com site and you will find a link to the literature portion. It will probably take some in depth reading for you to get a grasp of what you have. Plus help from the guys here.

It's an addon to a current system that I have started doing. I have operator consoles that have never been controlled through a PLC and we are using a SLC 5/03 for this. I have I/O cards in the main rack and that logic works great. We however have an operator console that is further away and decided to use RIO for it. I have never worked with RIO and do not kow exactly where to start. I have the 1747-SN in slot 12 and the RIO rack is cabled back to it with the cards installed. How do I configure this and communicate with the remote addresses?

randylud.....Thanks for your reply. The 1747-SN is in the same rack as the SLC 5/03, slot 12 of that rack. The 1794 components are in an operator's console away from the main rack. I have read through the AB literature, however am not sure how to configure any of this. 1/4, 1/2,etc. and do I have to use BTR & BTW with this configuration?

as all of the modules you are going to use are digital modules you will not need to use the BTR & BTW, lucky you!

as for the rack length go for 1/2. a logical rack is 8 slots, as you have 3 cards, you need more than the 1/4.

when this is set up you should see the data apear in the input table look at that table, you will see I:12 is longer than any other by far. the same for the output table.

cheers

myles

randylud said:
The SLC 5/03 has to be in an I/O rack with associated power supply and the 1747-SN has to be in a slot in that same rack.

i have had scanners in remote racks of a 5/04 is that a limitation of the 5/03?

cheers

myles

Configab504.JPG

here is a quick setup of what the config will look like in rslogix 500, hope that helps some. remember on the wiring to make sure the resistors are there on each side, in your case one on the scanner and the other on the remote adapter.

cheers

myles

no problem, you are welcome!

once the system is working you first two input cards should show their data on inputs I:12.0 - I:12.15 for the first card
and I:12.16 - I:12.31 for the second

the output on O:12.32 - O:12.47 for the outputs

hope that helps some more, it has been a while for me on thuis stuff it has been all controllogix of late so if i have got that slightly wrong i am sure someone else will chime in!

cheers

myles

are you sure? have you got it working yet?

can you write ones into the output data file and get the outputs to come on?

cheers

myles

Looking at the Inputs and Ouput files that is what is showing. What I don't understand yet is the addressing because RSLogix 500 shows the 1st input on the 1st IA16 as I:12.0/0. does this mean that the IA16 Inputs are I:12.0/0 through I:12.0/15?

ok here goes a quick stab at the addressing!

looking at the G file you can see you have a max of 4 logical racks, 0-3.

each rack has a max of 8 modules 0-7.

8x4 = 32 words, 16 bits, 0-15

using all digital signals no analogue as that confuses things!

you have two words for each module, an input one and an output one. look at the input and output tables they will be 32 words long.

so in your example the first module in your rack 0 uses I:12.0-15 because it is an input module, if it was an output it would be O:12.0-15

and so on

does that make sense?

that is where i got your output module numbers from, hold the mouse over the bits in the outputtable or click on them the address will appear at the bottom of the table in the address box.

hope that helped

cheers

myles