panelview 1200 to panelview plus

wilsonzhu

I have a project which is very old. It's panelview 1200 and PLC5 which connected by DH+, I am not sure why in the plc5 program, there is one rack(RIO) reserved for panelview 1200 (Those alarms are all connceted to this rack, but addresses are internals like N201:1 etc). Before I have done some standard panelview projects which is connected with Ethernet to PLC or SLC, There is no this Rack. If I want to convert to panelview plus. Do I still need this RIO Rack? Do I also change PLC5 program? Thanks.

im not an expert so dont quote me. rsview studio allows you to import in the old pba files.

also, if you want to do away with that old rack you can import in the plc 5 logic file and the rsview studio will build a database of hmi tags based on the logic tags in the program, since you cant direct address to anything other than controllogix.

I did try importing an old PanelView 1200 file into RSView once, and the amount of work needed to fix it up was almost the same as starting from scratch - a lot of things just didn't match up. So unless you really need to re-use the old project I wouldn't bother - I would start again from new. You can still maintain the same "look and feel" as the old project, and I've found that most old projects are in need of a tidy up anyway.

Usually the communications were RIO, you defined the PV1200 as a rack and then block transfer read and block transfer wrote to it from the PLC program.

The graphics weren't super hot, but they worked and were just about indestructible - we still have sites that use them.

Tim.

In my project, The PV1200 is connected to RIO of PLC5 chanel 1B, it is defined as A rack which has 8 group, in each group there are 32 input and output point. PLC5 Channel 1A is connected to SCADA system. If I want to replace PV1200 with panelview plus, do I need RIO communication module and Can panelview plus be defined as a rack in PLC5. I will use FT view me software. It seems to be totally different with old system. Is it possible to update the pv1200 without update PLC5 system.

My PLC module is PLC5/20.It has DH+,Serial port. if we order Panelview plus 1500 to replace pv 1200, Which communication module should we use, privious pv 1200 use RIO to connected to PLC5/20's DH+ channel 1B. But in FT view me software, PV+ must use rslinx(maybe DH+) to communicate with PLC. In plc5/20, we configure pv 1200 as a rack(RIO), So how can it work when changing to pv+. Thanks for your help.

See AB Tech Note 26945

and AB Tech Note 41659

In particular link at bottom Aid for Configuring RIO
(Tech Connect Contract Needed)

edit: Just re-read your post, do you want rio or dh+ ? Either way the panelview needs a dh+/dh485 card fitted 2711P-RN6

Thank you for your information, Dave. I want Rio, because the PLC5/20 program already configure pv 1200 as a rack by RIO. The question is that how can I configure PV+ by FT view me software. In this software, The PV+ communicate with PLC by RSLINX driver which there is no driver for RIO(only DH+). Is it possible to comunicate with plc5/20 without using Rslinx. Sorry, I am not familar with RIO and DH+. Thanks.

I think then you need to right click it (or something like that) to configure the rio racks

RIO is the hardest PV+ comms to set up :)

You are right, Dave. What's JumperID should be. In the help files, it says:
Displays the card number, which is set using the jumpers on the card. This ID must match the value set with the jumpers on the card. Available jumper IDs are 0, 1, 2, and 3 (default is 0).

But in my plc5/20,how can I know this ID? Can you send me some sample pv+ program to set RIO? Thanks a lot.

wilsonzhu said:
You are right, Dave. What's JumperID should be. In the help files, it says:
Displays the card number, which is set using the jumpers on the card. This ID must match the value set with the jumpers on the card. Available jumper IDs are 0, 1, 2, and 3 (default is 0).

But in my plc5/20,how can I know this ID? Can you send me some sample pv+ program to set RIO? Thanks a lot.

The jumper id is for the PV+ and has nothing to do with the plc5. I am pretty sure you leave it at 0 as this is factory default.

Thank you, Dave,The above threads are very helpful. My project is very similar with the first thread. if you have projects ralated to PV+ RIO to PLC5, pls give me a copy, my email address: [email protected]. Thanks a lot.

wilsonzhu said:
Thank you, Dave,The above threads are very helpful. My project is very similar with the first thread. if you have projects ralated to PV+ RIO to PLC5, pls give me a copy, my email address: [email protected]. Thanks a lot.

Sorry i have not done a RIO PV+ only DH and Ethernet which is a lot different (easier!), You may find it easier in the long run to convert to DH+ or Ethernet as pointed out in the threads i linked to.