PC - Profibus communication

bestbier

Hi

I am planning 2 projects.

1 - PC, Siemens S7-300 with 2 x Siemens ET200 and a X-Ray machine with Profibus-DP interface.

2 - PC, Motoman NX100 controller and the same X-Ray machine

In both cases the PC has to read/write about 20 internal switches and about 6 word devices.

I would like to know how to communicate with devices form a VB.NET application - maybe via profibus.

I can communicate with the X-Ray machine via RS232 if I have to. I think you can do that with the Motoman aswell. The reason I am thinking profibus because in system 1 I need the siemens system to work together nicely and I might need to run one comms cable through a spring cable reel.

Do note that I only have experience in Mitsubishi PLCs with RS232 communication and the whole Siemens/Profibus thing is new to me.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

One route might be OPC. You can get various OPC servers (google it) on your PC which will talk to your PLC. Depends on how your budget is.

A Budget-busting option might be Siemens SIMATIC NET software which together with the SIEMENS profibus PCI card (forgot the model of it). This will then give you an OPC server and connectivity with your PLCs.

Yes. For the PC to be a Profibus master, you can go via OPC to VB.net.
Normally, http://www.opcconnect.com/dotnet.php is a good site, but it seems to be down at the mo. You can also search for one of the many OPC "wrappers" out there.

For a combination of hardware and software, there is for example Siemens CP5611 (PCI), or CP5621 (PCIexpress), and the Simatic Softnet Profibus DP.
There are several alternatives, for example softing: http://www.softing.com/home/en/industrial-automation/products/profibus-dp/index.php?referrer=google