ml 1100 and modbus tcp/ip?

mpiotro

Does anyone know if the AB micrologix 1100 plc is capable of communicating with other devices through its ethernet port via modbus tcp/ip?
I have read the manual for the ml 1100 under messaging, and I see there is some kind of "CIP generic message" setup, but I am not sure if this is the same or not.
Has anyone done this before?

Thanks!

-Mike

I pretty much have the same question, I would like to connect a Micrologix 1400 to a Toledo scale using the ethernet connection thru an ethernet switch. All I need is to pull the displayed weight from the scale to the PLC. Should be similar to the Micrologix 1100. I can do analog, but ethernet seems a better way.

The answer to the original question, in case somebody looks it up, is no. The MicroLogix 1100/1400 have Modbus RTU master and slave protocol on the RS232/485 serial port only.

An EtherNet/IP to Modbus/TCP gateway like those sold by Prosoft, Digi, RTA Automation, and HMS Fieldbus would be required to communicate between a Modbus/TCP device and a MicroLogix 1100.

Possibly there are Modbus RTU -> Modbus/TCP converters available, but I am not familiar with any.

You can't do Modbus TCP communications oon 11/1400.
But 1400 has open socket interface very similar to 1756-EWEB module
AID 33697 in the knowledgebase has sample Modbus TCP server for EWEB.
With minimum effort you should be able to port it into MLX1400.

The Red Lion unit looks like it might do what I need. What sort of conversion did you do, and how much was the unit? Also, how difficult was it to set up? Thanks..

mg

All you need to do is know what registers in the ML and what registers you need in the Modbus device(s), then use Gateway Blocks to transfer the data. Here is a brief tutorial: http://www.redlion.net/g3features/G3%20Feature%20-%20Converter.html

The guys over at PLCMentor made a video that walks you through this as well: http://www.plcmentor.com/TrainingVideos/RedLion/tabid/102/Default.aspx

Depending on what you need to do, the price will be $499 to $1199. If all you want to do is make the ML talk to the Modbus device(s), then you can use the DSPLE000, which is $499. If you would also want to datalog or have a virtual HMI, then you could go with the DSPSX000 ($899) or DSPGT000 ($1199).

Regards,
Dan

I went on PLC Mentor site and viewed the communication setup using the Crimson 2.0 and then downloaded the software from Red Lion web site, seems simple enough.

So if I use the Red Lion converter, I'll need to use DF-1 from the micro 1400, and RS232 or DH485 from the scales? or should I use ethernet from the scales? I also have a Control Techniqies programmable motion drive I'll also need to communicate with (Epsilon EP-P) which has Modbus TCP/IP or RS485. Any suggestions or on this? I did notice the drivers included one for Control Techniques.

The Red Lion unit looks like it might do what I need. What sort of conversion did you do, and how much was the unit? Also, how difficult was it to set up? Thanks..

mg

Our conversion was from Modbus tcp/ip to ethernet ip to suit a compactlogix plc. The field devices were E+H level transmitters which used modbus tcp/ip.

I see that Dan has given you some ideas on prices.
If you already have the Crimson software, you will see that it is easy to set up.

I might also add that we were lucky that our local Red Lion distributor was able to loan us a demo DSP unit for workshop testing before we made the decision to purchase one.

I cannot comment on your control techniques drive as I have not had experience with them..Same for Toledo scales..

Ian

You can talk to the ML using DF1 over 232 or use the DF1 Master via PCCC/EIP driver to talk to it via Ethernet. The DSP has 4 available Ethernet protocols, plus the serial ports, so you can connect to your scales however you see fit.

Regards,
Dan

just reviving this old thread

A few posts in here indicate that a MicroLogix 1400 cannot communicate modbus tcp.

Just wanted to comment that a MicroLogix 1400 1766-L32 Series B added support for Modbus TCP communications, probably well after these posts were posted. Just FYI.