Connection- HWconfig problem with S7 313C

D!D!

Hello! I'm new here and already have a problem. I've already used the search of this forum and searched in the pdf's of Siemens.

I'm trying to set up a system based on a Siemens CPU 313C 6ES7 313-5BF03-0AB0 V2.6) with an interface module and some extra DI's en DO's. The software I use is Step 7 Lite V3 SP2. The problem however is the hardware configuration / connection with the PLC.

If I want to download the hardware config to the PLC, I get the error that there is a difference in the online and offline configuration and therefore the download is cancelled. I'm 100% sure that the numbers are correct except for the version n° of de CPU (V2.0 instead of V2.6). Unfortunately the HW library of Step7Lite isn't further updatable, but I don't think this is necessary either. I Also tried this configuration with only the CPU installed, but the same ressult.

Also interesting is the screens I get in the hardware configuration window. On the left with Online CPU I can see the status of the PLC and at the bottom there is marked CONNECTED, but in the detailed window I get the remark that (for hardware comparison) the configuration cannot be displayed as there is no online connection (!!!).

I've also tried to upload the configuration to my PC without any succes. The connection is made through a MPI-USB cable (Which works because I can see the Run/Stop mode)

Does anybody has any ideas please?

Hmm, not much response?

In addition I made some screenshots to clarify my problem:

S71.JPG

S72.JPG

S73.JPG

So, does someone have any thoughts about this please?
Note: Apparently I am able to download an OB to the PLC.

118D3040,

D!D! said:
If I want to download the hardware config to the PLC, I get the error that there is a difference in the online and offline configuration and therefore the download is cancelled. I'm 100% sure that the numbers are correct except for the version n° of de CPU (V2.0 instead of V2.6). Unfortunately the HW library of Step7Lite isn't further updatable, but I don't think this is necessary either.

Why do you think this is not necessary ?

Edit, added more info. Note the following data from the siemens website, unfortuntaley Step 7 Lite is not mentioned.
313001.JPG

Last edited:
Hmm, you have a point there. I ordered the PLC with Siemens Belgium and asked them if I could use Step7Lite as we are going to use a S7-PLC for this once only (side project) and didn't want to buy an expensive license for it. They said this was no problem. I asked for the compatibility because I didn't find any notes at the time on a PLC (313 or other) that would work with S7Lite. They always refer to V5.x .

If Step7lite isn't compatible with a version 2.6 I would have the following options:

-Buy a ridiculously expensive S7 5.4 for one time programming

-Search for a firmware 2.0 that I can download to the CPU

-Keep using Step7Lite, but without HWconfiguration

Am I correct?

Last edited:
What error message is displayed when you try to download ?
Maybe it is just a warning and not a critical error.

In your screenshot of the hw config in STEP7 Lite, the full CPU type cannot be seen, but it says "6ES7 313-5BF0.." and that is normally enough to download to a 6ES7 313-5BF03-0AB0.
Even if the firmware is 2.0 in your project, downloading to a CPU with 2.6 just means you forgo the features of the later versions.

I am not 100% sure, but try anyway.

Anyway, you have to download a HW config. Otherwise the i/o modules attached to the CPU cannot be used.

JesperMP said:
What error message is displayed when you try to download ?
Maybe it is just a warning and not a critical error.

Hi Jesper, thx for your input. I get the following two:
S74.JPG

JesperMP said:
In your screenshot of the hw config in STEP7 Lite, the full CPU type cannot be seen, but it says "6ES7 313-5BF0.." and that is normally enough to download to a 6ES7 313-5BF03-0AB0.
Even if the firmware is 2.0 in your project, downloading to a CPU with 2.6 just means you forgo the features of the later versions.

I am not 100% sure, but try anyway.

Anyway, you have to download a HW config. Otherwise the i/o modules attached to the CPU cannot be used.
The full configtable:
S75.JPG

I'm really lost for the moment as i also tried various different settings for the connection. And because I can download an OB and see the status, I suppose the connection is fine.
V2.6 vs V2.0 is in my opinion not a problem either like you discribed. But it's true that it's the only parrameter (that I know of) that isn't 100% correct...

rohan tandon said:
Step 7 5.4 on installation, works with a free 30 days trial license... that could be an alternate for you.

Thx for the tip. I've searched the web for a download of v5.4, but all I find are ServicePacks. Is there a way to download this trial version? 30days will do for the programming.

In STEP7 BASIS or higher, I know for sure that if the type number is the same, then you can indeed download from a lower firmware version to a higher firmware version.
It seems that STEP7 LITE is more picky than STEP7 BASIS.
Can you do an upload from the CPU ?

STEP7 isnt available to download as a DEMO.
You have to contact Siemens for that.

I think that you can still download blocks from LITE, even if the HW Config isnt 100% correct.

JesperMP said:
In STEP7 BASIS or higher, I know for sure that if the type number is the same, then you can indeed download from a lower firmware version to a higher firmware version.
It seems that STEP7 LITE is more picky than STEP7 BASIS.
Can you do an upload from the CPU ?

STEP7 isnt available to download as a DEMO.
You have to contact Siemens for that.

I think that you can still download blocks from LITE, even if the HW Config isnt 100% correct.

I can't upload or download HW-config, however I can upload and download blocks. Uploading HW-config to the PC results directly in an error 'uploading to PG failed'.

Seems like I'll have to contact Siemens tomorrow.

Hello everybody,

My problem is solved and I thought it might be useful for others if I posted the solution 👨🏻‍🏫

Apparently my HWconfig problem was (as mentioned here earlier) due to a newer version of the CPU vs the supported version in S7 Lite.

Siemens has send me a new XML file for my CPU which I had to replace in my installation directory of S7 Lite. As far as I know this file replaces the existing V2.0 by a tweaked V2.0 which is actually a V2.6 (probably the file for the next service pack).

Simple as that.

Good luck to you all and thanks for thinking with me!

Greetz,

Diederik

krk said:
💀 I see you've found 'Pirate Software Central' 💀

Actualy, I got there from a google question.

There are some good answers there, but your right about the pirate bit. And most of it is in Russian so it has to be translated.

I have found 3 or 4 good PLC / industrial control forums.