Modbus / Profibus network question

sikeoboy

Hello all,

I am theorizing to have a network with a Modicon PLC acting as Modbus Master, with a number of slave devices (PLCs with Modbus slave modules - some PLCs GE Fanuc, some Modicon Quantum) attached to the network.

Now, is it possible to actually have a slave on the network commmunicate directly to another slave, or perhaps by using the master as a gateway so to speak?

Assuming I change the above qn to be using Profibus instead of Modbus, does this make a difference? Or do the networks operate in a similar fashion?

Thanks in advance!
Rob

Last edited:
With Profibus it is not possible for two slaves to talk to each other. You can however use a master to read the data from slave 1 and send it to slave 2.

I have no idea if it is possible with Modbus. But if it also has a master-slave structure then it will be the same as Profibus.