RIO Network setup Help"

jayala

Sorry to bother you I'm trying to setup a RIO network. I’m using ab slc 5/03 1747-sn and 1794 asb adapter, flex i/o first one is 1794-IA16,1794-OA16 AND 1794-AO16.I set up the max input word to 32 and output word to 32.MO length 3300 ,M1 length 3300, ISR to 0 G file length to 3.logical rack o to 1/4,logical rack 1 to 1/4 logical rack 2 to 1/4 and logical rack 1/4 too. Everything is working but 1747-sn LED flashing green adapter active LED solid( the problem that I have is when I remove the power to the system and restore it the SLC goes in fault I try to reestablish communication and on RSlink shows communication error so the only way to communicate with it is to download the program again. any pointer will be appreciated.
1794-asb switch set up
S1-1 to S1-8 all are on
S2- 1,2,3 are on 4 off 5,6,7 are on and 8 off
1747-SN KBAUD is set to 115.2

Please try to organize your information a little better.

Are you trying to troubleshoot the RIO network, or the fact that your system appears to lose the program on power cycle ?

Let's start with the RIO network. I think you only have one 1794-ASB, right ? I will assume this is new hardware and use the reference manual for the modern 1794-ASB Series E modules.

S1-1 through 8 all ON means that the adapter is Rack 00, starting with Group 00.

S2-1 ON means the outputs will turn of the the event of a comms fault.
S2-2 ON means the scanner can restart a faulted connection.
S2-3,4 ON,OFF means 115.2 kb/s. That of course must match in the 1747-SN scanner.

S2-5 ON Mode Switch 1
S2-6 ON Rack Fault Disabled (FLEX modules can be removed individually without faulting the rack)
S2-7 ON Hold Inputs (retains Input data if module removed)
S2-8 OFF Mode Switch 0

The Mode Switches mean you're using Compact Addressing with 16-point Modules.

Compact addressing is similar to "Two-Slot" addressing in the 1771 series. You alternate between Input and Output modules and every four take up "1/4 Rack" of RIO memory.

Say the 1747-SN is in Slot 5 of your SLC chassis. This 1794-ASB at Rack 00 will map into your SLC memory as:

I:5.0 IA16 in Slot 00
I:5.1 unused

O:5.0 OA16 in Slot 01
O:5.1 OA16 in Slot 02

I'm not absolutely certain on that last Output module... I'd have to experiment to be sure.

So, this one 1794 FLEX adapter should be working fine as Rack 00. The other 1/4 Rack adapters you have configured for the 1747-SN to scan.... are there other corresponding 1794-ASB's on this network ?

And taking a step back:

If your SLC faults when you cycle power, there is likely an EEPROM in it that is loading an incorrect program. How are you connecting to the SLC ?

RSLinx is going to show an error code when you turn off the controller, of course. But since you say you're downloading to the controller, clearly RSLinx recovers its connection once power is reapplied.

So again, what problem are you trying to solve ?

Thank you for replying Ken

The problem that I'm tring to solve first is the SLC going in fault sencon base on the configuration shown below do I have the corect one on the G file.
These is the configuration that I have .I setup the max input word to 32 and Output word to 32 MO length 3300 M1 length 3300 ISR to 0 . G file length to 3 Logical rack 0 to 1/4 Logical rack 1 to 1/4 Logical rack 2 to 1/4 Logical rack 3 1/4 ?

I’m kind of confuse since I have 3 I/O groups should I use Logical rack 0 to 1/2 or the way I mention above logical rack 0 1 2 3 to 1/4 is it that proper way to con figure these I/O’s . This setup is 100% what I have.

Thank you Ken for your help is much appreciated

I have not EEPROM on the SLC

4 I/O rack
SLC 5/03, 1747-SN, I/O,I/O

Group 0 1 2
1794 asb,1794-IA16,1794-OA16,1794-AO16

Last edited:
Think of the "groups" as pairs of IO "slots" (the physical IO cards in the remote rack), within each group two words represent the two individual "slots" of IO within a group. Rack size tells the PLC how many remote "slots" of IO are out there.

So, if I setup a single remote rack at 1/4 size I can only use two physical "slots" of IO, "Group 0", "words 0 + 1".

If the first slot (word 0) in the remote rack is a discrete input card and my 1747-SN was in slot 1 of my PLC rack the addressing would be:

I:1.0/1....I:1.0/15 (I:Scanner Slot Number.IOWord/Bit)

If the second slot (word 1) in the remote rack is a discrete output card my addressing would be:

O:1.1/0.....O:1.1/15

If I needed 4 slots of IO the rack size of Group 0 would need to be 1/2 and words 0,1,2, and 3 would represent the 4 slots of IO I have.

And so on.

If you are doing analog inputs and outputs its a little more complicated as you need to us block transfers to read/write data.

Last edited:
First off let me say I know very little about this subject because I've only set one up for a SLC500 with one remote rack.
Here's a link that may help, starting at post 15.
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=24708&page=1&pp=15&highlight=remote+scanner+adapter

Also, here is a copy of some field notes that might help.
Item 1 solved the problem I was having.

C & P:
1747ASB STATUS DISPLAYING AN " AdE " CODE..

Question
1747ASB STATUS DISPLAYING AN " AdE " CODE.

Answer

The 1747-ASB will display an "AdE" code in the RUN mode in the following cases;

1. Incorrect setting of switch SW2-3, this switch must be set OFF if you are NOT
using complementary I/O.
2. Incorrect setting of Number of Logical Groups, Dip switches SW2-5 to SW2-8.
This is based on the Number of slots that makes the chassis without counting
the slot for the ASB and the type of addressing mode ( SW3-5 and SW3-6), 2 Slot,
1 Slot or 1/2 Addressing. This is done in 2 logical group increments.
3. Incorrect setting of "G" file size, if you are NOT using Complementary I/O, "G"
file size is equal to 3 or make selection for Not Complementary I/O.
4. Incorrect setting of " G" file for Logical Rack, Starting Logical Group or Image
Size.
5. Incorrect setting of SW3-4.
6. If Slot for the 1747-SN is Disabled, see Processor status file (S11 and S12),
Slot MUST be set to 1 to enable the 1747-SN module.
This problem can be seen when the SN COMM Indicator is solid green.