RSView32 ME Macros

CESC

Can anyone help me with macros on RSView32 ME? I would like to write one so that when a bit is set in the PLC code a screen automatically closes.

Thanks

Sorry I meant RSView ME and yes its for a PV+.

Well in the display settings there is an option for a shutdown macro. I just need some useful pointers on setting up the macro. An example would be great.

Last edited:
What I am saying, is that RSView ME Macro's have no method of controlling displays.

You can use the "Global Connections" to control which screen is shown from the PLC, but not from a macro.

You can't 'close' a screen in RSView ME without an actual person pressing a Close Display button, but you can force another screen to appear, which will effectively close any screen except an 'On-Top' screen with the Cannot Be Replaced box checked. You can do it on a trigger in a very roundabout way (but it does work!):

(I am using V5 of RSView so the names of things may be slightly different)

1. Under Global Connections, go to the Display tab. Take two tags (both DINTS or other integer type) and put one in Display Number and the other in Remote Display Number. While you are here change the Maximum Update Rate to something smaller, like 0.25 seconds. Keep in mind that the time from your trigger bit going high and the screen actually changing will be about twice the update rate, so if you want it faster you need to set a lower update rate.

2. Go to the Macro tab. Put your trigger bit in one of the available slots.

3. Open up the screen you want to go to on the trigger. Go to Edit->Display Settings and assign it a Display Number that is above 0 and unique to this screen. Save it, close it.

4. Create a macro. In the tag column, put the same tag you used for the Remote Display Number. In the Expression column, put the Display Number you set in step 3.

5. In the PLC, create a rung that EQU's the two tags used for the Display Number and Remote Display Number. When they are equal, set the Remote Display Number to 0.

This is because your macro will set the remote display number, but unless that number goes to 0, your HMI will be LOCKED from changing screens for any reason. The Display Number tag is feedback from the HMI as to what screen it is currently on. When the two match, you know that the commanded Remote Display Number was received by the HMI.

There you have it. It feels like I made a Rube Goldberg machine in HMI form ;)

But you don't need a macro at all for that.
If the PLC has to set a bit, for a macro to read, to write a number in the plc, for the global connection to read, you don't need a macro.

Just use the trigger bit in the PLC to write to "Display Number" until "Display Number" == "Remote Display Number", then set it to zero.

Display.JPG

Global.JPG

Like this

Haha - so I did make a Rube Goldberg machine in HMI form. I know I had some reason for doing it that way.... I just can't remember why. I like the non-macro method much better :)

Hi,
I was told by the AB instructor who led the class I attended that Macros should only be used to "SET" tag values.
Macros have no other purpose or use in this hardware/software combination.
Sounded kind of lame to me but she knows more than I do about such things.
BD

bikerdude said:
I was told by the AB instructor who led the class I attended that Macros should only be used to "SET" tag values.
I agree, and that is all macros can do anyway. I'm not exactly sure of the meaning your instructor intended to get across but I don't see much of a point in setting values if hardware does not respond to it in some way (think heater setpoint, servo speed, etc).

In my example, though, the macro was very unnecessary as the other guys pointed out.

Hi,
I'm not exactly sure of the meaning your instructor intended to get across
The example I saw has to have the Macro add 2 PLC-tag values & store the result in a third HMI-tag. Any other math function could be used as well I suppose. I guess this may have some value as it off loads some PLC processor work, not much but some.

BD