SLC 500 + RIO Scaner - addressing problem

zitam

Hi,

I've problem with getting analog input data from Remote I/O (1794-IE4XOE2) via 1794-RN and 1794-ASB. Program uses block transfer functions RTB/RTW. There're five modules connected to 1794-ASB (3/4 logical rack), and analog I/O module seems to be the last one.

We think that problem is with addresing, there are 3 inputs and we don't get data from any of it. Which M file (address of M file) should we connect to?

If in my description there is something wrong please ask me.

Regards

Little update:

According to information we find on Rockwell site it should be M0/1(one for BTR one for BTW):5(rio scanner in slot five).240(2 logical rack, 4 I/O group, slot 0). We get some information but they aren't values from sensors connected to module.

Four general questions:

1. Is this a system you are starting up for the first time, or is this a system that previously worked correctly that you are troubleshooting ?

2. Is the 1794-IE4XOE2 module a Series A or a Series B module ?

3. Is the "PWR" LED on the module turned on ?

4. Are you using 4-20 mA current loop or 0-10V voltage inputs ?

It would be very useful for you to post the RSLogix 500 (*.RSS) file for this system. If I could see the values associated with the BTR/BTW instructions, I could tell if they were addressed to the module properly.

The M-files for the 1747-SN have 32 memory buffers that are addressed starting in increments of 100. You can use those 32 buffers for any RIO block transfer application.

You always address a 1747-SN buffer as the beginnning address: M0:5.100, M0:5.200, M0:5.300, M0:5.400, etc.

The buffer number is not related to the Rack/Group/Slot address of the module you are performing the BTR or BTW instruction to. That information is contained in the contents of the data you send using the BTR or BTW instruction.

To do a block transfer application with the 1747-SN, it is imperative that you have the 1747-SN user manual and the 1794-ASB user manual on hand. Both are available from the RA literature website.

There are several good examples of 1747-SN block transfer programming in the RA Knowledgebase. Because the BTR and BTW instructions were added about 5 years ago, the newer firmware is much easier to use than the older mechanism of manually copying blocks of data into and out of the M0/M1 buffers. Answer ID # 24793 has a specific example of 1747-SN block transfers to a 1794-IE4XOE2 module.

1. As far as I know someone changed program code. Unfortunately we don't have backup for this part of code (it was added to original program).

2. Series B

3. Yes it's turned on and there's no fault on adapter or scanner

4. We use 4-20 loop (input 0 and 17 for example).

I know it's related to data contest in rack/module we refer to, and then from words we read, we get wanted data. What buffer number we have to use to get this data?

The more information you give, the more people can help.

The buffer number does not matter

The data inside the blocks moved to the buffer does matter.

It would be easiest to determine this information if you posted the *.RSS file with the current program in it.

Because the addressing of the 1794-ASB adapter is complex, to determine the addressing method you must post the Series letter of the adapter (probably Series E) and the DIP switch settings of all the switches on the adapter.

This is exactly the kind of support that Rockwell Automation intends to provide using Tech Connect services.

anyone ??

zitam,
Zip the .RSS file ( the whole file not just part of it) and post it here. And as Ken said the dip switch setting also. Not the way you did it.
I think a lot of people are reluctant to go to sites they do not know or trust.

Last edited:
Dip switches:

S1 S2

ON ON
ON OFF
ON ON
OFF OFF
ON ON
ON ON
ON ON
ON ON

In attached file there are two .pdf files with subroutine. I won't attach whole program because:

- I can't publish it
- values from rio are used in three branches outside this subroutine

I hope those are all needed information

I am going to assume that your 1794-ASB is a Series E hardware unit, as those have been produced for about 5 years.
I will also assume you have listed the DIP switch settings in their physical order, with #8 being at the top.

S1 S2

ON ON
ON OFF
ON ON
OFF OFF
ON ON
ON ON
ON ON
ON ON

S1-7, 8 indicate the module's Starting I/O Group is 0.
S1-1,2,3,4,5,6 are the module's Rack Number, Rack 2.

These settings confirm for us that your BTR and BTW instructions are correctly addressed to Rack 2.
Since you described the analog module being the last of 5 modules connected to the adapter, the modules are numbered 0,1,2,3,4.

S2-8 Mode Switch 0 = ON
S2-7 Hold Inputs = OFF
S2-6 Rack Fault = ON = Not Enabled
S2-5 Mode Switch 1 = OFF
S2-4, 3 = ON, ON Communication Rate = 57.6 kb/s
S2-2 Processor Reestart Lockout = ON = Restart Automatically
S2-1 Hold Last Output State = ON = Reset Outputs

The Mode Switch value can be complicated.
S2-8 = ON
S2-5 = OFF
S1-1 = ON

This indicates the adapter has been set up as a "Complementary" chassis for 8-point modules.

I think it's unlikely you intend to use Complementary addressing. The usual configuration is "Standard", which accomodates 16-point and analog modules in a simple way.

I would recommend settings S2-5 to ON, which will set up Standard addressing.

If you posted the actual list of modules in the adapter I could say if Standard addressing is appropriate.