s7-315 crash

zerotact

HI,
We had an S7-315 crash. The cpu does not do anything it doesn't even light up... The vendor says it's 4-6 weeks till we can get another cpu, and that we have to buy it from them. We have a sister machine in the plant running. What are the chances of getting a good power board to put into the cpu? Or What processors can I replace this with... And do I really have to buy this from the vendor... Is there anything they can do, or flash onto the plc that I can't do now without having to wait 4-6 weeks?

Any help would be great...

The Siemens web site shows the product is due to be discontinued next year so it would be prudent to replace it with a 315 model that has a longer product life. Contact your Siemens supplier.

315009.jpg

Thanks for the heads up, but for right now I need to know how to get this machine running without having to wait the 4-6 weeks...

Are you saying that I can slip another CPU in here without having to re-wire or reprogram?

Last edited:
A 315/317/319 will do the job along with a memory card - you will need a 24v psu. You will also need the Step 7 project. What CPU can you get hold of quickly ?

I have to look.... But what can the machine manufacturer do to thier PLC's that would keep me from buying a replacement plc from anyone but them... The dead plc was hooked up to a 24v PS as well as had a flash card in it. Was woundering if the machine manufacturer could load some new flash into the hardware itself to keep me from buying just and cpu... And if that is true can I pull the stuff I need off the other woeking machine then flash it onto the new PLC and then slip my flash memory card in and go?

I've not heard of anyone taking a Siemens CPU and then modifying it so you have to buy it from them and not straight from Siemens - but anything is possible.

Is the other machine truly identical ?

Do you have a backup of the project - if not then you will have to connect to the other machine and upload the h/w config and blocks.

Hello zerotact,
If the dead cpu has an mmc card in it chances are that the manuf. burned the program onto that card. If you put the mmc card in another cpu, if it is still in working order then you should be able to modify the hardware configuration to update the cpu part number. Just an idea. The only thing a manufacturer can protect is the code on the PLC. He can only protect it so you cant read it, but you should be able to copy it back to the program that you have even if it is protected.

You can also pull the information off of the other machine if it is identical but you will still have to modify the hardware configuration to update the cpu part number.

The local Siemens PLC distributor should be able to help you. This is a simple thing to do.

Last edited:
I may be a little late... but I have a few in stock, you need to let me know by Monday morning if you still need it, they will be gone Monday night

If someone helps... we should be able to set it up so all you have to do is plug in the flash card and turn the key switch

Do you have any idea of what smoked yours?

Send me an email if you are interested [email protected]

Mark

Mark I'm More Alan Bradley Man,just a thought have you isolated the input /output cards from the rack to eliminate an input or output draging the 24volt supply down.

Question for LD and GK,
If he took the memory card and put it into another 315-2 would everything be good??? do you still need to configure the CPU and only the program is held on the memory?.... as you can tell I have very limited exposure to the S7's but I thought the S5's only had some of the data on the cards so are these the same

I would also do like mystery said... remove the CPU from the rail plug in another power supply to the CPU and see what happens, I have also had several SLC's drop out due to the power supply

Question for LD and GK,
If he took the memory card and put it into another 315-2 would everything be good??? do you still need to configure the CPU and only the program is held on the memory?.... as you can tell I have very limited exposure to the S7's but I thought the S5's only had some of the data on the cards so are these the same

I would also do like mystery said... remove the CPU from the rail plug in another power supply to the CPU and see what happens, I have also had several SLC's drop out due to the power supply

Hey guys,
If the program was burned on the memory card, (the older cpu's have different cards than the new ones so we will need to know the exact model number of te older cpu) if he puts the card in the exact same model number cpu he will not have to do anything. Simply turn the cpu to run mode. If he will supply us with the model number of the cpu i might also have some of these cpus that still work. Be happy to donate if i have it.

P.S. S5 addressing is slot dependent. There is no hardware configuration. Special modules can readdress but the addressing changes are dip switches on the actual card itself.

Last edited:
We tested the input voltage off the power supply and it's a good 24V. Actually like 25.3 with no load. And 6es7 315-2af02-0ab0 is the exact part number...

But we don't have software or cables. So We are going to need to know if I can slip my MMC card into the new cpu and fire up. Or are we going to need software and cables....