Slow Notebook

Alan Case

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a new XP notebook with 4 Gig of ram and a reasonably fast processor.
When I open RSLogix 5000 and have it running (not online) I notice the CPU usage (of my notebook) is between 48 - 50% for this application.
Is this normal as it tends to bog everything down.
Regards Alan Case

Hi Peter.
The task manager is showing that RSLogix is the user of 50% of the CPU.
If I run two instances of the program they each use approx 25% of CPU usage.
Regards Alan Case

Solved the problem (sort of)

I found with the start page visible on version 17 and no program loaded I was using 50% CPU. Loading a file to run from this page kept the CPU usage at 50%.
Cancelling (closing) this page dropped the CPU usage to zero.
Opening the same file from the file open or the recently opened items under the file menu allowed the program to run with zero or minimal CPU usage.
Checked this on another computer and it makes no difference, just this on.
Not sure what it is, maybe some shortcut on the start page looking for something that does not exist and the CPU keeps trying to find it.

Regards Alan Case

Interesting !

The Start page is an Adobe/Macromedia Flash object, so if there's something misinstalled or conflicting with Flash, it could sit there on the left side of the RSLogix 5000 application and just suck up system resources.

I've been getting an Adobe Flash "update available" notification lately on my PC but I haven't allowed it to install yet because Flash applications are working correctly.

RA Knowledgebase document #38493 has some information about how the Start Page object works with v16.00, v16.03, and v17.00 of RSLogix 5000.

There have been some Flash vulnerabilities out there. When you visit a web site and it says you need to update to the newest version of Flash if you update from that site it could be loading malware on your PC and turning it into a spam bot. Always visit the manufacturer to get those updates.

I would be curious if any other program using Flash produces the same results.

OG

Resources

Slightly off the topic of this post but anybody looking to get the best performance out of their PC should check out this guys site http://www.blackviper.com/. He lists all the services, what they do and suggests configurations to get the best performance. I always go through these anytime I set up a new computer.