Wireless PDA

glenncovington

Lifetime Supporting Member
Has anyone ever used a wireless PDA to display data from a PLC and to send data to PLC. What sort of program development was done for the PDA (VB, Access, Basic?). Did you send the data as ASCII string over serial link or over ethernet? :rolleyes:

Glenn

Is this question related to your previous one regarding remote comms from a PLC to a operator display?

If it is any help, we send messages to our remote operator screens over wireless ethernet as an ASCCI string.

Paul

Yes Paul this is related to the previous thread. I talked with the LXE rep and his equipment looks to have more features and price than my project will allow. I found a thread about some software to make HMIs out of PDAs. This looks more in my price range if I can get it to work with a Siemens S7-300.

I was just wondering what kind of experiences people had using PDAs as wireless HMI devices.

Thanks again. :D

So you found LXE too expensive then? I am glad that we are not the only ones!

Our latest batch of operator terminals (working the same system as the LXE ones) are main by Psion (web site). Have a look at their warehouse products. We found them to be considerably cheaper than LXE, but they are just as good.

I can't tell you too much about the programing language for these as I don't know, and the man who does is not answering his phone! It's friday he is probably having a long liquid lunch beerchug

Paul

Terminal Services...Wireless PDA

Hi,

We just finished a project to display and ACK alarms and are now porting our SCADA HMI graphics displays to wireless PDA. We are using Intouch as the SCADA engine and Lookout to do trending (because intouch does lousy trending). We run both packages on our Digital 7100 server and access those through Terminal Services from the PDA and laptops. Twas a snap. Everything is avalible to the PDA from both packages. The hardest part was limiting access to the server by our users.

Lenny

you're running 2 MMI's just to get trending?. InTouch's trending can be a hassle, but I don't see where running LookOut just for trends is "overkill". Just my humble opinion.

Yes!!!! Intouch trending can be a hassle. Try Citect. Really good trending, easy to set up and use.
beerchug

I have seen an Omron PLC talk to a Palm through an IR port that Omron placed on a customers PLC. The customer takes his PDA and pulls data from the PLC and takes it back to his computer to store it. I understand that they also have some engineer somewhere who has developed a Palm program that will allow you to change the PLC program; I guess it also works through the IR port, but I am not sure.

Mike

Intouch - Lookout

since you have both Intouch AND lookout on same box, and using Lookout 'just' for trending I'd think about moving everything to Lookout since it would be less 'overhead'.

I've used both Intouch & Lookout over the years, but to have BOTH on one box just because you prefer 1 function over the other is OVERKILL.

Wait, someone above already said that!!