Prove to me that Modicon is worthwhile

Crash+Flash

Just when I thought that the only redeeming feature about Rockwell over Modicon was the fact that they have COP & FLL instruction, I discover that Modicon wants almost $500 for a 128Mb SD card for M340 because it has some proprietary file format.
Anybody found a hack for this yet?
:eek:

I once got a quote for a 512MB CF card for a Panelview+ of $1115.85.
I asked our AB rep what was so special about their card compared to the $40 one I could buy at any local computer store; this is the response I got:

"No there is nothing special about the card other than the A-B logo (priceless).
Just be aware that if you call tech support they will ask if you are using the A-B labeled card as it is the only one tested in the PanelView Plus."

Needless to say I bought the off the shelf card and never had any issues. :D

I once got a quote for a 512MB CF card for a Panelview+ of $1115.85.
I asked our AB rep what was so special about their card compared to the $40 one I could buy at any local computer store; this is the response I got:

"No there is nothing special about the card other than the A-B logo (priceless).
Just be aware that if you call tech support they will ask if you are using the A-B labeled card as it is the only one tested in the PanelView Plus."

Needless to say I bought the off the shelf card and never had any issues. :D
Which CF card? Generic one? or the internal System one?
The internal System one is overly costly, because it includes the runtime license.

Lots of clone programs out there that will do exact disk copies.
Can't say I have ever tried one on a SD card though.
Might be worth trying.

I had the same type of problem with the Parker CTC screens. The response CTC gave me was that the CF cards they sold were built to act like a hard drive and the store CF cards are not. Sure enough about 1 year later I started having problems with 2 screens and I replaced the cards and the problems went away. Now the cards are changed yearly to avoid any problems. In my opinion, $30 cards once a year is worth the hassle of $500 cards from Parker.

Hi Guys,
I know Siemens do the same with the SD card in the 300 series processors, any of their cards regardless to what size they say they are on the label if you format them under windows they come as 16 MB cards althoug the label will say 16,32,64,128,512 etc. Siemens reformat a standard SD card not as FAT32 as windows is but as FAT12 there is software out there to change these and clone them for example if you get a clone image of siemens 512 card you can clone any other standard card to be the same AND take a 64 Siemens card and re-format it to 512.I generally prefer siemens stuff but when they charge extra for the same size card with a different format they really p... me off.
Rob

Maybe that's because none of us can truly prove to you that Modicon is truly worthwhile. I know we won't be putting in any new Modicon PLCs anywhere in the 45 plants that I'm responsible for...

OZEE,
Thanks for your reply. That's a great way to start my day.

To top it off, they want 28 day lead time from the factory for their SD card.
;)

Lets not what the Schneider sales guy told me - have I been lied to?!

I specifically remember the Schneider sales guy telling me I can buy a generic SD card and used it on their PLC.
He then proceeded to take a shot at Siemens for using proprietary file format on their SD cards.

Has anyone actually tried to use a generic SD card on the M340 to see if it works?

Yes, I have.
As soon as I insert the non-Modicon (theirs is actually branded Telemecanique) SD card, %SW97 gives me error 2 "Card not recognized, or application backup damaged."
If I try to format the generic SD card with rising edge of %SW93.0, it indicates error 5 "No file system present in the card, or file system not compatible. Use %SW93.0 to format the card."

Hmm.... it would seem either the Schneider salesmen doesn't know his own product OR I have been deceived.