Networking question

isaacgp

The electrician at my factory changed a curtain sensor but when he put the new one, the curtain sensor didn't work. An outside technician came in and he said in his report " the curtain was unconfigured, so i configured the sensor and re-downloaded the program".

When the technician said he configured the sensor. Did he mean he did a new network setup for the curtain sensor between the plc for communication?

What kind of curtain? Keyence, Banner, etc. A manufacturer and model # would make it easy to get a datasheet.

Probably refering to DeviceNet setup, dip switch settings, or an initial "teach" function that some safety curtains have as a setup.

I have had some dealings with "Sick" Lsi sensors, which require a laptop to set up!
Or could it be a bus system, like "ASIsafe" which would want its node address set. What physical connection exists between the curtain and plc. Hopefully, just a "Healthy" digital signal? As was previously posted, the model would help.

Most of the modern light curtains require some kind of configuration procedure to work properly. It could be a configuration done with a laptop via a serial port, a network-based configuration, or a certain sequence of events ("ground that wire, then cycle the power" and so on).

If you could provide a particular brand and model, the help would be more specific.