Networking question

swayne76

Hello,
I currently have a PLC network that communicates on a 192.168.1.x address 255.255.255.0. I am looking to add a few other machines to the network that have ip's of 100.10.10.x. I am new to networking so I enlisted the help from our IT guy but he has not been much help. What do I need to do on the machine side and network side to get the two ip's on the same network.

Thanks

change the mask to 0.0.0.0

w/o knowing anything about the other machines, my answer is install a router. Make the router's WAN side an address on the 192.168.1.x network, and the LAN side (I'm assuming a typo on your part) on the 10.10.10.x

Hello,
I currently have a PLC network that communicates on a 192.168.1.x address 255.255.255.0. I am looking to add a few other machines to the network that have ip's of 100.10.10.x. I am new to networking so I enlisted the help from our IT guy but he has not been much help. What do I need to do on the machine side and network side to get the two ip's on the same network.

Thanks

100.10.10.xxx are not private network addresses. You should not use these addresses. Did you mean "10.10.10.xxx"? If so, those are okay to use.

They are 100.10.10.xxx addresses. The machine was updated by Rockwell engineers. The system consists of 2 powerflex 700 drives a panelview plus a flex io rack and a 1768-L43 . What would be the purpose in using the 100.10.10.xxx address

Last edited:
100.10.10.xxx are not private network addresses. You should not use these addresses. Did you mean "10.10.10.xxx"? If so, those are okay to use.
As long as you are not connected to the internet, you are free to use what you want. There are some preferred ranges, but who cares as long as you are not connected directly to internet?

I'd probably re-ip all the 100.10.10.x gear to match your existing range.

Incidentially, I think Verizon owns a large part of the 100.x block.

Where is Ken Roach when you need him. It's possible that those addresses are default from the manuf. based off of their MAC address? I only suspect this from working w/ Schneider OTB modules.

Where is Ken Roach when you need him. It's possible that those addresses are default from the manuf. based off of their MAC address? I only suspect this from working w/ Schneider OTB modules.

I remember when a lot of folks used the 3.0.0.xxx addresses in private process networks because they had learned to set up their networks in a GE class, and GE owned IP addresses in that range.

Sounds about right. At any rate, it should be easier to just change a few IP addresses than to involve a router.

huh?

In the plc and hmi world?

You ****ing kidding me?

Usually the ip address is hard coded during the compile of the plc program.

Even if your programmer knew [example] that in an M340 plc if you left the device name blank that you could switch the rotary switch on the NOE card from 45 degrees to 90 degrees that it would accept a DHCP address, yet show up on the attached device list w/ weird looking characters and that you could set up a static lease using it's mac address.

I'm sorry, lost you at easier than adding a router.

huh?

In the plc and hmi world?

You ****ing kidding me?

Usually the ip address is hard coded during the compile of the plc program.

Even if your programmer knew [example] that in an M340 plc if you left the device name blank that you could switch the rotary switch on the NOE card from 45 degrees to 90 degrees that it would accept a DHCP address, yet show up on the attached device list w/ weird looking characters and that you could set up a static lease using it's mac address.

I'm sorry, lost you at easier than adding a router.

Heh!

Okay... Slightly cheaper. ;)