Networking question

Not to mention that I have to put my plc's ip address in a strings.ini file in my hmi directory. Write a vb script in the hmi to read this on startup. Indirectly address all of my plc tags with [plc_ip]. Yes, my code is set up for DHCP, but don't take my work for granted. Not everyone is doing this.

All recent Rockwell stuff I worked with default to class C private IP. (192.168.0.0/24)

I think it's actually 192.168.1.XXX/24, for example the AB Armorstart and Armorblock have a integrated network switch in them, the default IP is 192.168.1.XXX, the XXX represents 3 small rotary switches on the device used to set the last octet of the IP address.

These devices also default to auto-negotiate speed and duplex, but our local I/O networks are all fixed at 100 Mbps FULL duplex. I also seem to remember if you leave the switches at .000, DHCP is enabled, simply setting these switches to anything other than .000 disables DHCP in the integrated switch.

Last edited:
^ those things sound cool. Do they support modbus tcp?

The same thing is available in AB "1734 Point I/O", from which ArmorPoint is built. "1734 Point I/O" modules are for mounting inside an enclosure, and it has the same Ethernet/IP switch module option (among other AB comms plus PROFIBUS... but I don't think they have a module for Modbus/TCP).
However with the rotary switches set for "000", you can also set ANY IP address within the RSLogix 5000 module configuration, or also BooTP.

ArmorStart is a pretty cool device in itself, including how they can be wired, with ArmorPoint.