omron ethernet dropping connection

crankshanft

Morning all.
I'm trying to use ethernet for a connection to a cs1 (stepping out of the 1990's) and I can connect now but within minutes it will disconnect and I cannot reconnect without restarting my laptop. The plc is wired to a switch then, a bridge to the router, back to the same bridge, to the switch, then to an access point, wireless to my laptop.

When your connection to the plc is lost I assume that you mean that the programming software gives an communication error. Are you able to ping the PLC when the connection is lost?

If it is possible to ping the plc, then there is a problem with your programming software, which version do you use

Else there is a problem with your network connection.

I had changed network frame length to 500 as suggested somewhere here. but response timeout was 5 sec, now at 1 sec seems to work!

Well it worked all day yesterday then today communication error after two minutes. still can ping fine, have to reboot the laptop to reconnect and then it dropped again. I have a latitude d820 with intel wireless cx -programer 6.1, would this be because of dropped packets?

You can set the Ethernet connection to stay on in the Ethernet card.
Apart from that I would suggest your problem is probably wireless drop out.
Have not used this method for connection before and I would suggest you will probably have to experiment more with frame length and response time out unless someone else comes online that has done it - you may be lucky.