PM requests rather than open forum

Steve Bailey

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
The boondocks of Western Massachusetts USA
I've had three private requests for assistance in the past week by way of this site's private messaging. None of the three have posted anything to the forum. In all three cases, it was pretty clear that English was not the questioner's primary language. I'm wondering if anyone else has been experiencing the same thing.

My response has been the same to all three. If you have a question, post it to the forum. If you want to hire me, send me a PO.

Last edited:
Gosh, Steve, maybe you just appear helpful and friendly. Change your avatar to a shark, a wolf, or the Mohawk-Niagara Grid.

I haven't gotten any of those on PM, though I have received a few e-mails to my work account from customers with complex A-B related systems. Never from students or casual querents, though.

Yes, but not many.

Some I have ignored. Others I have asked others to post their questions on the forum and I have still ignored the post. Sometimes the few post have gone back and forth. It depends on the topic , student status and my mood. Business, opinion related questions and control questions I usually just reply with a PM. There are some PMs I wish I had just ignored.

I have mixed feelings about PM's, but somethings are best handled privately. What I like about this site is that our e-mail addresses are kept from the spammers. Sometimes a PM is a way to exchange e-mail addresses with out posting it on the forum for all the spammers to see.

Steve, a no PM with at PO policy should keep your PM inbox empty. If it doesn't then good for you, but maybe Phil will want a marketing cut.

Since I'm usually here in the 'wee hours' (US time), I am often the ONLY member online. During those times, I occasionally get those "Teach me everything... NOW!" PMs, but it hasn't become a nuisance (yet!).

Maybe "Bailey" translates to "Ask me anything, but keep it private" in some foreign language?... :p

Perhaps Phil should set up something similar to the new national "Do Not Call" list?... :D

beerchug

-Eric

P.S. Love new 'Stewie' avitar, Ken! I never understood why FOX abandoned such a funny show.

Yes. I've had several. I copied them and posted them on-site.

I told the requesters that I was going to do so and that they could find my responses on-site.

After all... I wrote (most of) the "New Here" at the top of the page.

There have been a couple of times when I used the PM (Private Message) as a PM (Personal Message). As such, they didn't belong on-site.

I've gotten a few, and in some cases I suggested the request be posted. In other cases it was apparent that the question was fairly specific and wouldn't be much use or readily answered on the forum, so I've asked the PM sender to sen it to me as an e-mail and answered in the same way. In other cases the question was so broad, or would have required so much of my time (which I usually get paid for) that I've declined or ignored them.

I don't really mind - it is a small price to pay for the benefits I so often derive from this site.

I'll bet Phil's laughing right now, saying:

"You think YOU get a lot of PMs? Have a look at MY inbox!"... :rolleyes:

beerchug

-Eric

To PM or not to PM that is the question.

I am with Steve, you want me to do work for you, send me a PO. I like the open sharing of information that we have going here. It is such a valuable resource, and some of the newer practitioners of this craft will not appreciate that. To have come from the days when hardly anyone knew what a PLC was let alone how to employ one is indeed a sobering experience. Looking at the wealth of information available here it just amazes me how much expert advice is here just for the asking. I have had a couple of can you give me a solution type PM's but when I said no, they seem to have dried up. I like the fact that we can use the feature for Personal Messages like Terry suggested. I look forward to each new day on this forum to see what has bubbled to the surface. Never a dull moment. Thanks to all of you and of course our moderator, Phil. You know, the guy with the full inbox.

hmmmmmm....

Yes, I can certainly relate. Only received two today though... lolis

But then again I have mine on auto-pilot to send a welcome message and general rules to all new members. So, it generates a lot of replies and how-to questions... and yes the famous off-forum plc questions.

But I'd rather get the messages than no messages at all. At least then I know the 'auto-pilot' system is still working! :eek:

Enjoy,