WinCC Flexible. Improvement requests.

List has been updated.

The list of improvements for WinCC Flexible has been updated.
The previous list had 90 downloads.
Notice that we are getting closer to the deadline now (March 1).
It is almost last chance to get anything new in the list.

If you have posted something, and it hasnt gotten into the list, then it is because I have overlooked it, or it is because I have asked back about it and you havent responded.

Also look into the thread about voting procedures. I would like to get some feedback there too.

JesperMP said:
Another entry in the list will be that text lists should allow multiple lines.

It's possible to have multiple line text lists, although Siemens could have made it easier. All you have to do is insert ASCII carriage returns. I suppose someone could use a hex editor, but the easier way is to just type the multi-line text in Notepad, and then copy it into the text list. The carriage returns will now be displayed, and this can be used as a template for other text lists.

This will help out until Siemens fixes it for real.

S7Guy said:
It's possible to have multiple line text lists, although Siemens could have made it easier. All you have to do is insert ASCII carriage returns. I suppose someone could use a hex editor, but the easier way is to just type the multi-line text in Notepad, and then copy it into the text list. The carriage returns will now be displayed, and this can be used as a template for other text lists.

That is a nice tip.
Does it work on buttons too ?

S7Guy said:

The easiest way to manually enter a carriage return in a text field is usually to hold down the <CTRL> key and press the 'M' key.

Agreed, and that will work in practically every software interface except Siemens'. But as far as I know, CTRL codes will not work with ProTool input fields, although that may not be the case with WinCC.

Multi line text lists.

I cannot get it to work !

If I try and copy-paste a two line text from Notepad to WinCC Flexible, the carriage return is stripped out. It becomes a single line.

If I try to use ALT-013 in Notepad, it inserts a carriage return.
If I try to use ALT-013 in WinCC Flexible, nothing happens.

Last edited:
I can't try it in Flex right now, but I wanted to see if your text showed up as multi-lines during runtime. When I do this in ProTool, I can see graphic characters where the line feeds are, but it still displays as one line. But when I start the project, it displays as multiple lines.

If it doesn't work in Flex, I can see that I will never be able to convert my project upwards from ProTool.

There is nothing to see in WinCC Flexible. No graphics characters, nothing.
I didnt go to try and run it, so there is a chance that the CR's are hidden inside the texts. But even if it does work it would be completely unmanagable.

Anyway, it is an entry in the list. One way or the other it should be improved.

By the way. Could you then make multiline selection lists in Protool ? (Combo boxes is what it is called I think).

I tried it with a Combo box, and it didn't work. I guess it's just an accident that it works with button labels, which is where I always use it.

OK, the vote is on now. Please try to post only the votes.
If you are in doubt about an entry in the list, then post your question here in this thread.

Please note that the list is fixed for now, I cannot add any entries to it. Maybe we shall keep adding to it, but that will be after the vote.