WinCC Flexible. Improvement requests.

Another problem with the DBConverter is that it doesn't handle srings well. I seem to remember if the string length is an odd number, it screws up the following addresses.

I've found it easier to just export the data block into a csv file and create my own converter with Excel. Although, I would definitely use Siemens' if they had one that worked.

Werner,
another way that is quite easy and productive is to pick the variables from the STEP7 symbols. The WinCC Flexible project has to be integrated into the STEP7 project. So when you add an object and have to specify the tag(s) for that object, you browse the available symbols in the PLC and pick the relevant one. WinCC Flexible then automatically adds that to the tag list.

Suggestions for WinCC Flexible 2005 advanced

Suggestion for

WinCC Flexible 2005 Advanced

1) High resolution images when imported, gets distorted. That is when you SET images (of high resolution) as seen in GRAPHICS PREVIEW, they gets distorted.

2) There should be GOTO function in WinCC something like Simatic Manager. Such that whenever you type address in GOTO screen it will display all the locations wherever this address(tag) has been used.

3) WinCC should be able to display the moving graphics !! For example waving flag or Jesper MP’s BeerChug smilie.

4) Screens in WinCC should follow something like CALL STRUCTURE as in Simatic Manager. For example if screen Menu2 is accessed through screen Menu1 then screen Menu2 should be shown under Menu1 screen.

5) The password in WinCC should me made visible, because if you have made a project and have forgotten the password then all you can do is re-enter new password in this project.

6) There should be some provisions to view all the tags in the given screen.

7) SIMPLE OBJECTS of the WinCC should be expanded to something like Adobe Photoshop.

8) The WinCC HELP should be in greater details.

2) There should be GOTO function in WinCC something like Simatic Manager. Such that whenever you type address in GOTO screen it will display all the locations wherever this address(tag) has been used.

You can do this. Right click a tag in the tag list and you will see a cross ref.

Better ways to create tags. Most of the time a have a DB for display functions. Now I have to create the tags one by one, all by hand. It would be nice if it was possible to select the entire DB (or just a struture or selection) and then click on create tags. This would then lead to all the tags being created automatically.

From the tag screen enter in the first tag in the series. With it selected you will see little square boxes in the bottom right corner. Select this box and drag it down. This will create a list of tags in order from where you started from. This works a lot like Excel.

Answer to Follow Up Questions

1.) Yes and yes. I would like to see the ability to have multiple windows open at the same time, for my situations it would be probably two at a time . Where each window could be individually sized. I am not sure how easy this would be to accomplish via Touch Panels but would be nice for PC applications.

2.) The Commands that Flex support is from the standard instruction set from VB Script but Flex does not support every function of VB Script. For example, Flex does not support the command "MsgBox". I have to use another command from WSHShell that was supported in Protool to accomplish the same function. I like to use this for acknowledgement for initiating a process. There is even less commands supported for the Touch Panels that is explained in the scripting help section of one of the Flex pdf's. I can understand why some commands are not supported for Touch Panels but not for Advanced, PC apps.

3.) I can see your point for the Rebuild All function. However, some of my projects are quite large and takes a decent amount of time to rebuild all. Maybe patience is needed on my end. Is this recommended in the Flex help files?

4.) Finally regarding licenses, I did not drop a zero. I purchased Recipes and Change Control both for under a $100, US. Maybe my Siemen's distributor misquoted the licenses. I do recall paying a significant amount for Smart Service and Smart Access. I can confirm when I return to work on Monday.

Thanks Again Jesper!

Rookie_Eng said:
2.) The Commands that Flex support is from the standard instruction set from VB Script but Flex does not support every function of VB Script. For example, Flex does not support the command "MsgBox". I have to use another command from WSHShell that was supported in Protool to accomplish the same function. I like to use this for acknowledgement for initiating a process. There is even less commands supported for the Touch Panels that is explained in the scripting help section of one of the Flex pdf's. I can understand why some commands are not supported for Touch Panels but not for Advanced, PC apps.
I agree with your points. I have heard of others using calls of external functions to get message boxes and the like. Of course it is a cludge, and it would be better to have such functions readily available.
Maybe something will happen with the next major release that shall allow porting of WinCC projects. And as WinCC uses C scripts with many more functions than VB scripts, then WinCC Flex must support this also.

Rookie_Eng said:
3.) I can see your point for the Rebuild All function. However, some of my projects are quite large and takes a decent amount of time to rebuild all. Maybe patience is needed on my end. Is this recommended in the Flex help files?
I only know that if you dont do the rebuild thing frequently, then you will get the mentioned problems.

A little OT but any idea when the next Flexible update will be? I know the plan is to "replace" WinCC but I wonder what the time frame is?

1) Popup support. I can buy a cheap little touch screen and it has popup support, yet ProTool and WinCC Flex don't.

2) Allow buttons to work under a text display. I usually include a black background with a on/off of running/stopped text inside it on buttons to show their current state. Unlike most other applications I've used pressing this area will not activate the button underneath so I then have to include an invisible button over the text.

3) Make remote access similar to WinCC WebNavigator where it acts as a separate interface and does not interfere with the operation of the panel itself.

EDIT:
4) Make it compatible with WinAC MP!!!!! We were sold on that 3 years ago and have been working around it ever since.

Last edited:
Button Text

I'd like to see an option to change the text on a button from an another bit similiar to CX-Designer. I know you can do this via a text list in WinCCFlexible.

djpalaz said:
I'd like to see an option to change the text on a button from an another bit similiar to CX-Designer. I know you can do this via a text list in WinCCFlexible.
Support of replacement of the multistring text on buttons from the text list is necessary to me.
The combination of a divider of lines (CR) is necessary as it is made in
WinCC.

Hi

See also my other post about this !!!

WinCC Flexible 2005 with SP1 doesn't seem to work with OP73's, unpossible to do a download...

Maybe you should check this out...

DesertDog said:
1) Popup support. I can buy a cheap little touch screen and it has popup support, yet ProTool and WinCC Flex don't.
I guess that this is included in the other members wish for message boxes.

DesertDog said:
2) Allow buttons to work under a text display. I usually include a black background with a on/off of running/stopped text inside it on buttons to show their current state. Unlike most other applications I've used pressing this area will not activate the button underneath so I then have to include an invisible button over the text.
I think I will NOT add this to the list.
You should try out a button with the display mode switched from "text" to "text list".

DesertDog said:
3)Make remote access similar to WinCC WebNavigator where it acts as a separate interface and does not interfere with the operation of the panel itself.
I am guessing that this will be part of the next major release for when WinCC is implemented in Flexible.
But I can write it into the list.

DesertDog said:
4) Make it compatible with WinAC MP!!!!! We were sold on that 3 years ago and have been working around it ever since.
It will be in the list.

JesperMP said:
DesertDog said:

I think I will NOT add this to the list.
You should try out a button with the display mode switched from "text" to "text list".

I tend to be a little anal about my graphics and a text list just doesn't do it. I understand if you don't put it on the list but here is an example of the look I'm going for and it doesn't work with Siemens stuff without an invisible button over the text and then the button doesn't show pushed when the invisible button is used.
buttons.gif

OK DesertDog.
I'll put it in the list.
Personally, I would try to use the software with the possibilities that is built-in.
Another entry in the list will be that text lists should allow multiple lines. With that and color animation you can get it almost like you want.
..and then the button doesn't show pushed when the invisible button is used.
Right, that is one reason why I wouldnt do it like that.