SIMOTION positions lost

Mr ATS

Hello all,

I am working with s simotion drive and I find that if we leave the machine powered down for a long period of time (months) the positions stored all get lost. We are also using S120 drives on this system and they are not getting lost. Does the simotion store it's position the same way as S120 drives, through DB's? Or does it store them on it's own simotion drive? Or could this possibly be the result of bad programming? Any help would be of great assistance. Thanks.

Mr ATS

On a SIMOTION 611U the CF card only stores the operating system (I'm about 95% sure). What type of SIMOTION drive?

I'm not sure about the SIMOTION D. The 611U is actually a SIMODRIVE, can't keep them all straight. Some informatin on the CF card for a D4x5 follows. It says some operational parameters are stored on the card.

Properties of the CF card

The CF card is mandatory for operation of the SIMOTION D4x5. The CF card is not supplied with the SIMOTION D4x5 and must be ordered separately.
The SIMOTION Kernel and the software used to control the drives (SINAMICS firmware) are contained on the CF card.

The CF card is used for:
  • <LI class=bullet>Backing up the technology packages and user data (programs, configuration data, parameter assignments)
  • Updates (e.g., SIMOTION firmware update)
The licenses for the technology functions are linked to the serial number of the CF card. This means the CF card can be inserted in a different SIMOTION D without having to change the licenses.
The CF card is supplied in a bootable format with the latest SIMOTION Kernel and drive software.

Now that you mention D4x5 I do believe that is what we are using, and by parameter assignment does that mean positional data? if so does it make sense that we are losing our positional data from the CF card and do you have any suggestions as to how to keep from losing this data?

By the way thanks to you all for your help

It could. I've never used it. Here's a little more information I found that says there's a battery to backup for the retentive process variables. Maybe its dead?

Data storage/data backup

The SIMOTION D4x5 modules have 320 KB of non-volatile and battery-backed SRAM for retentive process variables. This backup is stored for at least 5 days. There are two options for storing retentive data for a longer period:
  • System commands for storing retentive data on the CompactFlash Card (CF) of the SIMOTION D4x5
  • Use of a battery module (combined fan/battery module already included in the scope of delivery of a SIMOTION D445/D445-1, optional for SIMOTION D425/D435)
The runtime software, user data and user programs are saved retentively using a CompactFlash Card (CF).

D445 comes standard with a battery module, the D425 / D435 do not…it is optional.
…with the battery module, your Retain Data and Encoder Offset are stored for at least 3 years without power to the controller…Otherwise, they use a SuperCap which stores those values for at least 5 days.
...An alternative to using the battery module is to use the system function:
_savePersistentMemoryData
...This write those retain values and abs encoder offset to the CF card.

Thanks those replies help out alot and we are using the D435 and do not have a battery module, so now I must figure out how to make this code change as i am not too familiar with Siemens servo drives but again thanks to you all