AS-I Network Cable Question

Chado613

I understand an AS-I line can be up to 100 meters long per master.

However I am not sure if that total includes the lenth of the "T"'s from the drop connectoer to the Field Device

Does anyone have any experince with this?

100m max from master to slave. So yes, also the length of that last cable.

You can improve on the length by using end resistor or tuner. If i remember correctly there is also repeaters.

I can find info on repeaters but not for end resisitors.
I've not come across end resistors or tuners in an AS-i bus.
Can you direct us to your source of info, please?

CORRECTION: Now I have:

http://www.bihl-wiedemann.de/englisch/datasheet/16444843.pdf

Regards
s.f

Last edited:
Sorry i used wrong word, not end resistor in asi but as 504bloke said terminators. And then also tuners. Tuners are active in sense that they actively search best parameters to terminate ASi. Terminators are of fixed parameters (i think it was some capacitance and some resistance). So if teminator wont do the trick to end bus problems, tuners will likely do, then if tuner wont, then try repeater..

IFM atleast makes them.

I can find info on repeaters but not for end resisitors.
I've not come across end resistors or tuners in an AS-i bus.
Can you direct us to your source of info, please?

CORRECTION: Now I have:

http://www.bihl-wiedemann.de/englisch/datasheet/16444843.pdf

Regards
s.f

Siemens do the end terminators, i think from memory they are in the PG catalogue. They double the 100mtr range.

Have you got the Siemens ASI catalogue (its A5 size) ?

Last edited:
I suggest you keep well below the 100mtrs before installing repeaters/extenders & if you do not require them still keep below 100m as at this extremity dependant on installation when a node fails it can interrupt other nodes.
I noticed this on a system where one ASI network was close to the 100m limit & when one node failed (this was one of the last ones) it caused weird problems on other nodes i.e. the inputs appeared to work (leds) but the info recieved in the plc was incorrect until the faulty node was replaced.
We shortened the cable runs as a temporary measure & did not have the problem again.
I have noticed this in a number of installations recently so now I prefer to make the max run no greater than 80m for each card or use extenders but still keep the runs upto the extender to 80m

I suggest you keep well below the 100mtrs before installing repeaters/extenders & if you do not require them still keep below 100m as at this extremity dependant on installation when a node fails it can interrupt other nodes.
I noticed this on a system where one ASI network was close to the 100m limit & when one node failed (this was one of the last ones) it caused weird problems on other nodes i.e. the inputs appeared to work (leds) but the info recieved in the plc was incorrect until the faulty node was replaced.
We shortened the cable runs as a temporary measure & did not have the problem again.
I have noticed this in a number of installations recently so now I prefer to make the max run no greater than 80m for each card or use extenders but still keep the runs upto the extender to 80m

Weird, are you sure they was no external noise influence or earthing problems ? Is the install as per the ASi standards ?

I have quite a few installs now all 100 meters and have had no issues at all even when nodes fail, all are mixed IO and Analogues along with safety devices as well, most are nearing the node limit. All use only siemens devices and are on s7-200 or 300's.

Did you try adding a tuner to the end of your problematic 100meter run before you cut it to 80 meters ?

Did you stick an ASi analyser on the problem 100meter network to see what was happening ?

Last edited:
You can go up to 600m if you really want to.

Standard setup with Master, PSU and slaves is 100m.
Put an Extension plug on the end and it it increases the range to 200m.

With 1 repeater you need 2 PSU's and the range is increased to 200m.
Add in extension plugs and you can increase it to 400m.

Max is 2 repeaters in series, 3 PSU's total (one per repeater-segment) is 300m.
Add in extension plugs you can get 600m.

Thats all in series. If you want to go T or parallel, then make the T-point in the segment that includes the master, add a repeater and PSU and that segment of the T can go up to 200m.

This limited to max 62 slaves.

This info should be somewhere on Siemens site. Got the paper version of it right in front of me.

Edit: If you are going that far, it might be best to add the extra 24V DC cable to the circuit....

Last edited:
Didn't even try when you have a working system (2 years)that never stops, you have other installations being installed, your production manager breathing down your neck then quick & simple is best, ASI is not guaranteed above 100m (the estimated cable run was about this so it made sense to install in this case an extender it only took a few minutes & no problems since.
If life was easy I probably would have spent time looking at the problem but that's what the real production life is like.

need help on AS-i cable type

Was contacted by a customer to add some devices to their AS-i system

unable to locate cable to use for this network
looked in Belden and found none marked for AS-i
cable is the round type