Cross breeding GE Fanuc with Allen Bradley...

mamcspadden

Does anyone know how I can set an Allen Bradley Panelview Plus to read tags from a GE Fanuc 90/70 plc? I can't seem to find anything that will tell me how to read from one over ethernet.

I am using FactoryTalk Studio 5.0.

Though I'm not familiar with it, there is firmware for the panelview for Modbus Ethernet. There is also firmware for GE Ethernet, GE Ethernet Global, GE SNP, and GE SNPX. Unfortunately I'm not at all familiar with any of these protocols and couldn't tell you if any of them fit your description.

The next problem I have is the FactoryTalk View (The new version of RS View) won't configure communications through any server but RSLinx, and these other protocols are for the KEPServer configuration (at least I think that's it.) From what the Panelview that I'm attempting to test on is telling me, the KepServer firmware isn't supported except for DH+ and DHRIO. It's not working on the 2711P-RP1A G Logic Module, and that has serial and ethernet communications in it.

And you are correct in assuming that the plc has an IC697CMM742 ethernet module, we were actually going to add one solely for this upgrade.

Do you know much about the Allen Bradley end of this? It seems that I'll have more problems with it on this side than on the GE side.

Sorry, but I can't offer much help on the Panel View side of things.

GE SNP and SNPX are serial protocols. What AB calls GE Ethernet is probably SRTP. That will probably be the easiest to implement. It is the default setup for the IC697CMM742 module.

The GE Ethernet Global would require you to configure producer/consumer exchanges in the 90-70 to match what you set up in the Panel View.

Thanks for the help, at least you've eliminated half of my question. Now all I have to do is figure out how to get the communications in the FactoryTalk View Studio pointed to the 90/70 PLC.

Anyone around that's familiar with the integration of "other" brands in FTStudio?

Allen Bradley Versa View talking to a GE PLC

I have sucessfully installed an Allen Bradley Versa View 1000 that is talking to a GE Fanuc 9070 PLC via ethernet. Would be happy to post instructions if you are still interested.

The first step is to install the GE drivers into the AB Panel View. Start Factory Talk View Studio. Select “tools” from the top menu then “firmware upgrade wizard”.
The wizard should start. I typically upgrade my OIT’s using a compact flash card.
This wizard will create an application that will upgrade the firmware on the OIT as well as install the necessary drivers. Next select the “create firmware upgrade card”. You will need to insert a compact flash card into your PC or else save the application somewhere on your hard drive and then later transfer the app to the CF card.
Select your terminal type then “next”. Now select the firmware from the dropdown list. You can obtain the latest firmware from Rockwell if needed. Select “next”. Now on this screen you must select the GE drivers. Select “GE Ethernet” and “GE Ethernet Global Data”. After you have created the upgrade CF card just insert it into the CF slot and follow the instruction on the Panel View. I will explain more later concerning the Factory Talk configuration and etc.

Nest step for AB panelview to GE 9070

The next step is to download Kepserver Enterprise. This is a Rockwell Automation product. Follow the instruction and install the software on your laptop as well as the AB panelview. Once installed there are several help files that come with it which should walk you trough the rest. Good luck!