Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router

LeeGriffiths

I was wondering if anyone can help me.

I am trying to use the Linksys-G broadband router to connect to the internet. It looks like I am connecting as I can ping my computer and all seems ok. I have also checked my network connections and it says it is connected. However I cannot open any screens.

I have borrowed another wireless router (Trendnet)and it all works ok.

So I am a little lost.

I think it may be a configuration problem but I do not know where to look.

Thanks

Lee

I am not familiar with LinkSys but have you looked on their site for an easy step by step guide to go through to see if you have missed anything ?

If you are having trouble just getting to the configuration screens of the linksys router, maybe this will help. This is for a WRT54-GL router. If you are having some other type of problem just ignore this post.
1. Open your internet browser.
2. In the address bar type 192.168.1.1
3. Press Enter
4.Leave the UserName field blank
5.In the password field type admin, then click OK.
6 The first screen you should see is Basic Setup.
7. From there you should be able to change what you want.
If in doubt about what to do, just close the browser before saving any changes. I hope this helps a little.
Link to the WRT54-GL manual:
http://www.xup.in/dl,13940159/WRT54GL-V1.1_ug.pdf/

Last edited:
If you still can't get it, hold the "reset" button (on the back with a paper clip) for 10 seconds, unplug and re-plug the power, continuing to hold the button. This will do a hard reset to factory defaults.

Then follow jrwb4gbm's steps again.

Also, are you using it as an actual ROUTER? or just an access point? If you aren't using it as an actual router, do NOT connect anything to the WAN port. Make all cable connections to one of the normal Ethernet switch ports.

You did not say actual type of router, but basically in most cases you need either (A/V/SH)DSL or Cable modem also.

Then you connect that modem or externally provided ethernet connection to wan port of that router.

Then your computer to one of local lan ports. Wireless is usually disabled as default for security reasons.

Usually it is enough to connect to that lan port when wan is connected properly, if you have cable/dsl modem before your router, you should setup it so its just forwarding IP addresses. Not using NAT. And keep NAT enabled in router.

http the IP address of the Linksys to access the menus on the linksys itself one problem I've noticed on Linksys is you need to set the IP address close to the same range as the router also the subnet must be the same If you do not know the IP the manual will provide the default address. A lot of times the CD itself does not connect if the address is not default. also you may have to bypass local proxy settings on the internet connection menu

Well most of the cases its best to use your internet browser to connect to router config. Linksys default ip to connect seems to be 192.168.1.1. If all fails, use the small button in router to reset it to factory defaults.

not all models of Linsys use the same default I have 4 different models where I work and they have 3 different default addresses

It looks like I am connecting as I can ping my computer and all seems ok. I have also checked my network connections and it says it is connected. However I cannot open any screens.

Lee

You shouldn't be pinging your own computer but router instead.
It looks like you have different subnet IP address on your computer and router...either the DHCP is not turned on in your router or you have fixed IP on your computer.

Thats the best guess coming off your info.

That shouldn't matter. Doing a hard reset will enable any one of those devices as a DHCP server (which will allocate an IP address to your PC and tell you the address of the router).

1. Make sure you hold the reset button down a long time (just pushing it does a "soft" reset)

2. Have your client PC set to "obtain an IP address automatically" in your network (TCP/IP) settings. Reboot your PC when the router comes online (or "ipconfig /release" then "ipconfig /renew"). Then use the address of your "default gateway" for the web configuration page in your browser.

not all models of Linsys use the same default I have 4 different models where I work and they have 3 different default addresses

Nice i have a simulair problem, maybe someone can help me out with it.
I just bought a house after i moved i noticed the wireless modem of my provider was not strong egnough to reach the other side of the house.
I bought a wireless router lynksys WRT54G2. (i had asked the reseller a access point but he didn't had 1 in stock.) he told me i can configure this as a AP have talk to the tech support of Linksys for over 3h and can't get this thing to work. What is my goal, i want to use the router to extend my Wifi so i can send documents to my wireless printer that i can't use at this moment. Someone has any ideas? For the moment i can't really test scince i'm abroad but during the weekend i can test alot so if someone has an idea let me know. thx
Oh yeah i have am ethernet cable avialable where i want to install the modem and this 1 is working because when i plug it in and disable my wifi on my pc i can go on the net.

(snipped...
Oh yeah i have am ethernet cable avialable where i want to install the modem and this 1 is working because when i plug it in and disable my wifi on my pc i can go on the net.

Are you connecting the new access point via a cable to the old one? or just trying to use it as a wireless range extender? I forgot which modes the Linksys supports, but to use it as just another access point, you need to get online with it first directly. Plug a normal LAN (NOT WAN) port from the router into the LAN port of your PC. Boot up the router, and then boot up your PC (I'm assuming the PC is DHCP enabled here, if not, you might need to set it up that way).

Then you need to go online to the router, as advised above. Just open a web browser, and use it's default IP address, and default user/password. Now, a couple things, you need to configure it as just an access point for one, which I think is under the Wireless Settings page. Secondly, you will want to DISABLE DHCP, and let your main router handle that. Third, try to give it a static (Fixed) IP address that is well out of range for your normal routers DHCP server, but still on the same subnet. Since most home routers are configured to serve 192.168.1.x, and all start at the lowest address and go higher, try setting the Linksys to 192.168.1.220 or something (assuming 192.168.1.x is your normal subnet). SAVE the configuration in the router (It will reboot again), shut down the PC, and connect up your cables as normal, again, making sure NOT to use the WAN port on the new access point, and give it a try.

Are you connecting the new access point via a cable to the old one?

Yep i have a network cable plugged in the old 1 and this network cable i will use to plug in the new router that i would like to configure as AP

Then you need to go online to the router, as advised above. Just open a web browser, and use it's default IP address, and default user/password. Now, a couple things, you need to configure it as just an access point for one, which I think is under the Wireless Settings page. Secondly, you will want to DISABLE DHCP, and let your main router handle that. Third, try to give it a static (Fixed) IP address that is well out of range for your normal routers DHCP server, but still on the same subnet. Since most home routers are configured to serve 192.168.1.x, and all start at the lowest address and go higher, try setting the Linksys to 192.168.1.220 or something (assuming 192.168.1.x is your normal subnet). SAVE the configuration in the router (It will reboot again), shut down the PC, and connect up your cables as normal, again, making sure NOT to use the WAN port on the new access point, and give it a try.

Thx i will give it a try this weekend. It is allmost the same like the linksys support told me only 1 big difference they told me i should use 192.168.2.X as ip for the AP

THx again

No - you should have it on the same IP subnet as everything else. That's really only relevant for management (the web page) since it's acting as a layer 2 device (access point, not router).

The SSID (wireless net name) and security settings (WPA/access lists/etc) need to be the same on both.

The wireless channels need to be different. Choose the two most free channels from: 1, 6, and 11. Hopefully you're not conflicting with your neighbors too much, or yourself for that matter.

Yep i have a network cable plugged in the old 1 and this network cable i will use to plug in the new router that i would like to configure as AP

Thx i will give it a try this weekend. It is allmost the same like the linksys support told me only 1 big difference they told me i should use 192.168.2.X as ip for the AP

THx again