Rockwell & Windows 7

Kabir

Hi there,

I have mean considering migration from XP to a newer operating system however I’ve heard and seen problems trying to run Rockwell software on vista so my question is this.

Has anyone tried testing Rockwell software on Windows 7? I’ve heard that RSLINX, RSLOGIX5, RSLOGIX500 work fine when set to run in XP Service Pack 2 compatibility however RSVIEW32 on the other hand won’t create its tag database or something like that.

Has anyone had any experience on this one, I’m my research I found somewhere they were saying something like RSVIEW32 is really 16bit code done in a particular way for easy migration to 32bit platforms and that’s why it won’t work but I’m not sure.

If they have, its using a beta version of Win 7, and I'm sure Rockwell won't commit to anything this early.

On a good note, my son has been beta testing Win 7 at the university he is attending and he tells me that Win 7 is the best of both WinXp and Vista. But I don't know what that means for us in the Rockwell world.

(I'm bumming over the loss of PCMK support in Vista, I hope its revived in Win 7).

I believe is very bad idea to migrate at this time. I would stick to XP, you are risking unpredictable behavior that could have a detrimental effect on you process/machine. Win 7 is not even done cooking yet, so it is not certain how the final version will behave. As for Vista, its behavior is erratic, and slow, with a tremendous appetite for resources. My two cents.

Marshjhm I agree with you fully with respect to the timing of switching I have been with XP for a long time now Vista never invited me but Windows 7 is calling me.

So I was just wondering what other in the Rockwell world think of the new software with Rockwell im not switching until I am comfortable.

Marshjhm I agree with you fully with respect to the timing of switching I have been with XP for a long time now Vista never invited me but Windows 7 is calling me.

So I was just wondering what other in the Rockwell world think of the new software with Rockwell im not switching until I am comfortable.

I believe that Windows 7 will have an XP emulator, but i dont think it is standard.
Like others have said. No business likes being on the cutting edge of Operating Systems. I wouldnt expect to see much reliable vendor support for Windows 7 for a year or two yet.