SLC 5/05 1747-L551 no communication

rootboy

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi guys,

I've got a SLC 5/05 1747-L551 processor here that won't talk to me.

The Fault light is flashing red, the Ethernet light is solid green, and BOOTP has assigned an address of 192.168.0.1 to the PLC.

Inside of RSLinx I have two drivers set up for it, one is AB_ETH-1 driver, which sees address 192.168.0.1 as an unrecognized device, and an AB_ETHIP-1 driver which sees the same thing.

In RS500, I have setup a dummy program at node 1 using the communication path that I created and tried to download to the processor. Each time I try I get a error message of "DiagnosticStatus failed: 0x4".

I've removed the battery and shorted vbb to ground for over a minute prior to attempting to load a dummy program (at least three times).

The processor does have a 1747-M13 memory module on it as well.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

1. Pull the memory module, clear the memory, and try again...
2. Try the serial port.

If that doesn't help:
Is this a new or used SLC? What is the firmware revision of it? What revisions of Logix and Linx are you using?

Does the Unrecognized Device icon also show a red X over the question mark ? That's a timeout. Remove the device from the graphical browse in the EtherNet/IP driver and see if it reappears, which will indicate actual connectivity.

The diagnostic steps I use are:

In a Command Prompt window, perform an IPCONFIG /all to verify that your computer's Ethernet adapter is configured for the same subnet as the controller.

In a Command Prompt window, perform a PING command to 192.168.0.1.

If the PING is successful, perform an ARP -A command to see the MAC ID associated with 192.168.0.1. It should begin with "00:00:bc" if it's an SLC-5/05.

Enter the IP address 192.168.0.1 in a Web Browser address field (IE, Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari). The 1756-L551 diagnostic window should appear.

1. Pull the memory module, clear the memory, and try again...
2. Try the serial port.

If that doesn't help:
Is this a new or used SLC? What is the firmware revision of it? What revisions of Logix and Linx are you using?

OkiePC:

This is a slightly used SLC, the firmware *should be* 1747-OS501 C 10, RSLogix is 7.10.00 (CPR 7), and Linx is 2.43.01.23 (CPR 6).

In all cases, I get good communication connections including ABDF1-1 (it auto-detected just fine), but in each case Linx comes back with unknown device.

Ken:

I tried what you suggested and I see the PLC's diagnostic web page (complete with it telling me that I have a faulted processor).

I deleted the connection in Linx and it came right back without a red "X" over it.

I currently have the memory module removed as well.

Thanks guys.

Since the FRM is a newer version, the first thing I would do is go the the Rockwell EDS site and download the latest EDS files.

http://www.rockwellautomation.com/resources/eds/

Select Ethernet/IP for Network and then Programmable Logic Controllers for Device Type, then do a search. Just over half way down, you will see the SLC5/05 EDS Files. Save them to somewhere easy to find. Shut down RSLinx, then open the RSLinx EDS Hardware Installation Tool under RSLinx Utilites. Click Add and browse the location you saved them to. If you save them all in their own directory, you can select the directy option, and install them all at once. Otherwise, you will have to do it for each file. If all goes well, restart RSLinx, then try connecting to the SLC5/05 again. You might have to delete it from the RSWho Window, so RSLinx scans it again. All the previous advice is good as well. It looks like you can access it via Ethernet, but RSLinx just doesn't know what it is.

Hope that helps.

Stu.....

Great troubleshooting information. You've verified that the Ethernet subsystem is working correctly and the controller is definitely communicating with all of its low and high level protocols; IGMP, HTTP, CSPv4, and CIP.

This narrows the issue of RSLinx Classic browsing to the Electronic Data Sheet file.

You can verify the firmware revision from the Web page to be absolutely certain you're registering the correct EDS file.

Download the available EDS files for the 1747-L551 controller from the A-B website. Select EtherNet/IP for the network and 1747-L551 as the keyword.

http://www.rockwellautomation.com/resources/eds/

Save it to the desktop or another working folder; DO NOT save it to the RSCommon/EDS directory.

Run the RSLinx Hardware Installation Utility (Start -> Programs -> Rockwell Software -> RSLinx -> Tools

Once the Hardware Installation Utility has registered these EDS files, the SLC should show up in the RSLinx Classic browse with the correct icon and RSLogix should be able to work with it.

Sweet ! Thanks for the followup.

I had something similar happen to me recently with an SLC-5/05 that wouldn't show up in the EtherNet/IP driver. It would show up in the Ethernet Devices driver just fine.

I did all the troubleshooting steps I described; PING, ARP, HTTP. Checked the firewall, all OK. No dice. The processor was in machine installed just over a year ago. Why wouldn't it browse on EtherNet/IP ?

We finally decided to upgrade the firmware in the controller, so we powered it down and took it out.

Manufacturing date code ? 4/99. The controller was ten years old and had been put in a new machine.

Imagine if somebody handed you a ten-year-old laptop and told you it was new. But an SLC.... hard to tell the difference. Being an expert, I should have known to look for this, but the fact that it was new blinded me to the symptoms that were right there in front of me.

Ken:

I didn't even realize the SLC5/05 was out that far back. I am not sure I would have thought of that, but I certainly will keep it in mind now.

Rootboy:

Glad we were able to help. It looks like I beat Ken by a whole two minutes with basically the same solution. :)

Stu.....

@Ken:

After you guys got me going I realized that the previous programmer had his laptop setup with the EDS files that it needed to work with the SLC.

Of course, when he left, he took his laptop with him.

Which is one of the reasons why when I worked for GM we had the programmers do their work on the factory terminals.

@Stu:

This SLC was from back in 2002, even though it is essentually brand new. Good call.

Thanks again!

Thank You

Thank You Thank You Thank You.

For some reason my old physical windows 98 box with RSLinx version 2.2 had no problem connecting with the new SLC-5/05 PLC CPU 1747-L551/C C/13 - DC 3.54 that we just had to purchase recently.

However my windows 98 virtual machine instance with RSLinx version 2.41 kept saying "unrecognizable device" until I added the EDS files available from the Rockwell Automation file link you kindly provided http://www.rockwellautomation.com/resources/eds/ that I had long since forgotten & could not find anywhere else any more.

Thanks!🤞🏻