Two Independent control rooms to share a common circuit

burtonoscar

Here one for comments/suggestions: An independent plant (control room) ten-miles away will convey its material then discharge onto a conveyor of another plant(control room). What would be the best method to share control of this conveyor via the HMI/PLCs? Both control rooms use Wonderware Intouch 7.1 as the topology and both circuits PLC are Modicon 984. Thought is to pass a token via the HMI's giving control of the final/end conveyor (somehow :)

The first thought that came to mind was the Sorcerers Apprentice.

There you are at the end and you are drowning in material - would it not be nice to turn the thing off?

I think controls at each end of a conveyer would be a good idea - at least an e stop.

I am not sure what to say on a 10 mile conveyer and have difficulty imagining ten miles of control circuit. I would think there would be E stops at intervals of conveyer(s) - can you really have a single 10 mile belt type conveyer?

Dan Bentler

There are also four HMI across the length of the belt; emergency pull cords, belt drift switches on all belts. Emergency stop on the overland conveyor I understand will be near a minute. The final section of belt or where the overland conveyor discharges onto will be hard wired to stop the overland if it were to stop/trip. Perhaps thats all that is needed...

Is that a single 10 miles long belt conveyor ? Gosh.

I would start to investigate single mode fiber, look into what Modicon supports. Probably Modbus TCP will do.

The problem as I see it is the wirestops. Are there safety relays that can drive cables that are 10 miles long ? I used to get into problems when the combined cable length reached 200-300 meters. The voltage drop would cause the relays to trip. I think that todays safety relays are less sensitive to this problem (the safety circuits draw less current), but 10 miles is a long distance.