ControlLogix to Modbus TCP Converter Red Lion

12brich

Has anybody done sending and receiving data from a CLX to Modbus TCP devices using the Red Lion DSP? The Crimson software under Allen Bradley doesn't say CLX, it just says "Native Tag Addressing" so I assume that it is for the CLX. Just wanted to double check.

Good start there. Why are you using the Modbus TCP driver to chat with an AB device? Are you RS-485 or TCPIP to the DSP?
Did you know you can set your CLX comms TCPIP, tag your stuff, and then bridge your stuff to another protocall/interface like RS-485 RTU? Look around here about the DSPlus, their are elves among us.

just a question,,,
for a,,,
bitmore

Last edited:
Yes, that driver will work for the CLX series. Does the PLC have an Ethernet port? If so, I would recommend using the L5K driver or the Ethernet/IP slave, depending on the application. Using the slave driver would make your Modbus device look like I/O to the PLC. For either of the Native Tag drivers, you need arrays on the PLC to pass data TO the PLC, you do not need arrays to go from the PLC to the Modbus device.

Regards,
Dan

Dan,

It's a CLX with a separate ENBT Ethernet card. It makes sense using the L5K file import but what is "Ethernet/IP Slave"? The closest I see is the DF1 Master via PCC/EIP. I do not want to emulate SLC or PLC5 addresses such as N7:0, etc. Native tags are fine.

To answer Bitmore questions, many devices out there are Modbus/TCP and it's easier to use a protocol converter.

Dan,

Since I am sending and receiving from a CLX to a Modbus TCP device, the second example (L5K) makes more sense. This is exactly what I wanted to do - to map data to and from. Would the Ethernet/IP slave driver let you exchange data with Modbus/TCP devices?

Yes, the EIP slave driver will allow you to do that. The slave driver will make the Modbus device look like I/O, so the PLC is the one in control of sending/receiving the data. Where as with the L5K driver, then our unit is responsible for sending and receiving in both directions.

Either driver will work, and both may require a bit of additional programing in the PLC. The slave defintely does, and the L5K might, depending on your existing tag structure.

Regards,
Dan

Not that I am aware of this driver working with either of those PLCs. For communicating to SLC5/05 you would use the DF1 Master driver. For the ML1400 you want to use the DF1 Master via PCCC/EIP driver.

Regards,
Dan