step 7 / siemens comms setup

andyf

hi
I am involved in a project that will be using a siemens CPU315-2PN/DP processor, I am conversent with plcs but unfortunatly I have not had a lot to do with the siemens brand over the years.
The CPU315-2PN/DP has ethernet capabilitys and i will be using Siemens SOFTNET to interface it to a third party control system. The programming software availible to me is siemens step 7 v5.2 (which i understand is not the current version) or step 7 lite, On first impressions step 7 lite looks impresive but im told its limited in its use.
Can i program the plc through the eternet port or do i still need a adaptor to go straight into the processor
I have so far not been able to locate a ethernet driver or ip adress setup within step 7 lite, what am i missing?

thanks for any help you can give

andy

It looks like i will have to use the full step 7 package then, Can anyone tell me how to get the ethernet driver ? i have looked in the SET PG/PC interface option in the step 7 menu and it is not shown, only the mpi and profibus drivers can be selected.

Hi Andy,

Not sure why you cant select an ethernet option, maybe V5.2 doesn't support it, do you have an ethernet port on the programming device?

Siemens Technical support will tell you what your options are with V5.2 but I would reccomend upgrading to V5.4; there should be an upgrade option.

UK Tech Support is on: 0161 446 5545. They are very helpful people.

Nick