slc505 messaging

Andy

hi
I am having a problem with 2 allen bradley SLC5/05 PLCs.
Currently there are 2 plcs on the eithernet network with IP adresses as follows
PLC1 10.0.0.50
PLC2 10.0.0.251
PLC1 comunicates to a software package on a pc that has RSLINX installed on it and i have no problem with that.
I can ping both PLCs from that pc but I am unable to see plc 2 from RSLINX. What am i missing or where should i start looking?
For the job im doing, I need to read some data using a MSG instruction and would assume as a starting point i will need to see both PLCs with RSLINX to prove there is a connection.
thanks in advance for any help
Andy

Andy:
Check rslinx´s driver configuration, maybe one of your plc is not included.
Check rslinx version, update it if necessary. Latest is better.
Check PLCs firmware revision.

PING is a good start, so thanks for that data point.

IP addresses aren't the whole story, so check the Subnet Mask of your PC and (when you get connected) the SLC controllers.

The next two things I'd do to prove IP connectivity to SLC#2 are:

1. After PINGing the controller, type "ARP -A" and look at the IP/MACID table that is presented. Be sure that the SLC#2 IP address is associated with the MACID of the SLC you're trying to browse. SLC-5/05 controller MACIDs will always begin with "00:00:BC".

2. Type the IP address of the controller into the address bar of a Web browser to see if the embedded Web pages show up. This is not totally conclusive, as the embedded Web pages can be disabled or blocked, but it usually confirms that the target device is the SLC that you expect it to be and can communicate using HTTP.

Next, examine the RSLinx drivers.

The older "Ethernet Devices" driver labeled "AB_ETH-1" requires that you type in the IP address of the device you want to browse. This driver works with any A-B Ethernet device, going back about 16 years.

The newer "EtherNet/IP" driver labeled "AB_ETHIP-1" uses a broadcast packet to identify A-B devices on the network. If SLC#2 is over ten years old or is behind some kind of firewall or router it may not respond to this browse request.

The RSLinx browse is not strictly necessary for SLC#1 and SLC#2 to send MSG instructions to one another, but I agree that it's probably good to get connecivity to the PC as well.

Directions on widelto's (and smoke) suggestion to check RSLinx:

• Open RSLinx
  • Click on Communications
  • Select Configure Drivers
  • Select your Ethernet driver in the Configured Drivers section
  • Click on the Configure button
  • Verify both PLC1 and PLC2 IP addresses have been entered
OG