Siemens STEP 5/ST V7.02

micgent

Im starting to learn S5 (I realise the technology is ancient but it is for service backup purposes.)
Running Siemens STEP 5/ST V7.02 on PG

I have a requirment to visit a factory upload the program from the PLC to PG. Then produce a print out of the Ladder/Statement List. To enable a third party to copy the functions and program another Brand PLC.
However reading the manual thus far I think im right in saying that all I would get from the upload is machine code.

What I really need is a copy of the "project ******PX.INI file"

Could someone confirm this for me please/explain

thanks

micgent

You are right you will only get the code with no comments or symbols.
The symbols & comments are not stored in the ini file if I remember correctly, the symbols are in the SEQ files however I have not used S5 for about 10 years & cannot remember that far back.
You really need the complete project the only other answer is if you have the drawings then create the symbols for the I/O then it may be possible to comment some of th code to get an idea on what is what.

With a lot of effort you might manage to make a readable program again from your upload (after punching in all the symbolics from the drawings, if they exist).
Very tricky business, most of you will agree that you know where you begin, but don't know where you end.

A phrase I use to convince the customer that he is pushing it to the limits is...

You can easy make soup from vegetables, but the other way around takes a bit longer.

If you are not familiar with the old S5, try something like PG2000 or s5 for windows, both windows based and easy to use.

Cheers,
Henk

Last edited:
You will be unbelievably lucky if you can simply read out the S5 code in ladder.
Ladder was not well implemented in S5. There is a much better chance wit FBD.
With S5 you must under any circumstances brace yourself for some manual interpretation of the code.