FT Machine Edition usage

JeffKiper

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I just got a new customer that is using FT ME. It looks like there are several screens that are not being used. Is there anything I can do to see what is used or unused? I would like to clean a bunch of this old unused stuff out of the HMI.

RS View32 has a Project Documentor that I used to clean up projects. Just wondering if there is anything for FT.

They are using direct tags ( I think that name is right) there is no tag database. Can I look and see what is being pointed to the PLC? I remember seeing a thread about this somewhere but couldn't find it when I searched.

Thanks

Bob is only on SE? Iam using ME. I didn't see it on my PC. I will look when I get to the site. It is packed in a bag already.

Jeff,
I just used it on an ME application last weekend.
I have FT ME 5.10 but I can check on a 5.0 box and let you know.

SE is NOT needed to program ME. There are two levels of FactoryTalk View Studio. The lower version is for ME only and is for PanelView Plus applications. The other version is for Supervisory Editions and covers SE (Local and Network) as well as ME.

Jeff; as far as your question goes, i'm not sure if there is a project documentor as my only experience with RSView 32 is upgrading older projects to SE. If you think there are screens that are not being used you can look through the projects navigation buttons to see if the suspected screens can be opened in the runtime environment. Probably not the most convenient.

You could temporarily rename the suspect screens to proceed with x_, which will group them at the bottom of the screen list. That will help organize the used / unused screens and then screens can be deleted as you determine they are not needed. Either way I would recommend archiving the project first so you have something to revert back to if you find out that a deleted screen is needed again.

If you want to see what tags are used on a given screen, you can select all (Ctrl+A) and then I beleive it's Ctrl+R for tag substitution. This will bring up the tag sub window with a list of all tags referenced on that screen.

Not sure if this will answer your question, hope it helps...

There is a KB on it #46928 with a zip file attached.
I have the PDF and the zip if you need it and can't get to it.

I just got a new customer that is using FT ME. It looks like there are several screens that are not being used. Is there anything I can do to see what is used or unused? I would like to clean a bunch of this old unused stuff out of the HMI.
How well do you or your customer know the process? Can you not see what these screens are doing, in relation to the machine/process, and see if they are relevant or not? If the customer knows the process/machine, they should be able to tell you if they are in use or not?

Sorry guys been out in the country with no cell coverage.
The customer had a SI that did all his work. They closed up shop. So he is left to get stuff going. I 'm looking over the app but you never know when somethingis called from a script.

I will get on th KB tonight and see If I can find that.

Thanks guys.

I hate to jump in and blast Rockwell but their product stinks when it comes to cross-reference. On a daily basis I use their product and Siemens and GE so I see the three lines.

With GE or Siemens there is a complete cross-reference for every single thing in the HMI, variables, scripts, you name it. How in the world Rockwell put out a product that has nothing for cross-reference, given their ICOM history!!! is beyond me. There is no way to follow somebody else's touchscreen.

My rant for the day, LOL