Compatibility between revisions: ControlLogix processor and DeviceNet card

fwilliams83

I have a 1756-L55M12 ControlLogix processor which is set to the site standard firmware revision of 16.21 (also the latest revision for this processor). I need 3 DeviceNet scanners in my rack and have been handed 1756-DNB/D cards which have an out of the box firmware revision of 11.03. My problem is that the latest major revision I can set the DNB module to in the Logix5000 hardware configuration is 10; conversely, the earliest revision I can set my DNB card to is 11.02.
Has anyone had a similar issue? Does anyone know of any issues that may arise if I use an earlier major revision number in my Logix5000 hardware configuration to the actual configuration of the card?

There is an article on the Rockwell knowledgebase about this. Their solution is to set the revision number to the highest available and disable the electronic keying for the card. This is obviously a fudge but it seems to work OK.

The I/O and Status connections of the 1756-DNB have never changed, so there is no loss of function to just go ahead and disable Electronic Keying.

I un-key my DeviceNet modules all the time.