Studio 5000 data adapter tool compatibility

bpcomp

So I just discovered that Rockwell has a tool for taking a Studio 5000 project and generating an Autocad file based on the components in your project.

The thing I can't find a clear answer on is that the listed compatibility for Autocad is Autocad Electrical versions 2014 through 2018. Now Autocad 2023 has the Electrical bundled in with regular Autocad and even thought compatibility isn't listed, I wondered if any of you know for sure if this tool will work with current versions of Autocad (with bundled Electrical), or only the older versions listed?

https://compatibility.rockwellautomation.com/GeneratedReleaseNote.aspx?v1=58000&v2=58000&o=&pdf=0

Maybe it's just me, but the idea of doing the PLC programs before you even start the drawings seems...backward

It doesn't seem to matter for our workflow if we start the PLC project first. From what I see of the tool, you don't have to write the whole program, just have the component tree populated. So make a project and add in the IO cards, VFD's, etc. Name those things and then the tool will do a lot of the grunt work to generate the bones of a CAD drawing.

When you write the PLC program doesn't matter for that to happen.

If you are saying that you wouldn't even start the PLC project until the electrical diagrams are complete, then I don't understand your work flow. Then again, me understanding your workflow doesn't matter.

The advantage I see here is being able to had a designer a complete set of template objects for the project. Since most companies will have their own requirements for how drawings are labeled and arranged, what this really gives is all the CAD objects for everything in the project that the designer can then use in their own drawings.

Well I guess I'll see if I can find the answer some way and report my findings back here. It would be helpful for me since I'm both doing the wiring diagram and the PLC program. Having a tool that shortens part of the procedure is worth trying out.

And the answer is that it doesn't work with newer versions of Autocad Electrical. We tested with Autocad Electrical 2024. I guess if we want to use this tool we would have to buy Autocad Electrical 2018.

Does it create a DWG file? Would you mind sharing an AutoCAD file? My company moved away from AutoCAD in favor of BricsCAD last year. I'd rather not download/install another program unless there's a chance it'll work...