"Factory Talk View Studio SE" activation lost

Hello Automation Techies

one of our customer lost their
dongle key from site which were already registered for
"Factory Talk View Studio SE" 100 Display.
so i want to know what is the solution to get license back?
Is it possible to rehost previous activation to new dongle or as PC'S Motherboard locked, i am having
activation document,CD'S and .LIC file?

Any suggestion is welcome?

Thanks
Shirish :)🤞🏻:sick:🍑:confused:
(A Man of Mystry)

Yes, it is possible to create a new license file that uses a different hardware ID.

This process is called "re-hosting".

Since you have the *.LIC file, you can perform this re-hosting process entirely over the Internet using the Rockwell licensing website.

Your hardware identifier options are the Ethernet MACID of an Ethernet NIC, or the Hard Drive ID, or another dongle.

Start Here:

http://www.rockwellautomation.com/support/activations.html

.....On an associated note, am I right in saying you could use a USB to Ethernet adaptor and use the MAC address in that for the activation of the licence? This 'dongle' is machine transportable and a lot cheaper than the official one on offer....

In both theory and practice

I have seen USB-connected "NIC Cards" that work well as hardware ID's for FactoryTalk Activation.

However, I have seen quite a few instances where power conservation settings in Windows or device drivers will shut down an Ethernet interface (wireless or removable) and make it inaccessible to Windows, and thus to FT Activation. This is sometimes quite confounding.

I always recommend using the motherboard's NIC card as the hardware ID for FT Activations that are Node-Locked. In my experience, the motherboard NIC card is the least likely device to wear out, be damaged, or get lost.

One of the counterintuitive things about the HASP dongle is that it is single-purpose and expensive and is therefore treated with a little more care by site personnel. When I am using them I always hand it to the responsible user with a stern "these are replaceable but they cost a hundred bucks."

I rather annoyingly have a laptop with SE developer's licence acivated with th m/b NIC. This NIC has subsequently failed and I use a USB-NIC adaptor. There is an option in XP to allow it to be turned off to save power so I un-ticked that box. The activation is still linked to the failed onboard NIC but comms is over the USB adaptor.

Not tried rehosting to the USB adaptor and I guess it's MAC could always be cloned as a backup in case of loss...

The rehosting process is very easy and painless to do using the internet. I would do that before I would mess with cloning the MACID to a USB powered NIC. You can then use the hard drive ID and be back in business shortly. And the nicest thing about the FT activation is the fact that it will run for 7 days with a licensing problem.

I believe anything with a MAC Address can be used for hosting the license. I agree with Ken that the intenal NIC is usually the best as it is least likely to fail. Most computers will have two options; HD and NIC.

At first I thought that the dongle was a great idea, but as mentioned above it costs $100. Also it is external and can be removed. Either it is removed and misplaced, or somebody steals it thinking that they have a new USB jump drive to take home with them. In either case now you're out $100 for the nifty Rockwell Dongle and you're activation is is gone with it.

If the license does not need to physically move (machine to machine or plant to plant) the internal NIC is probably the best option.

Hi.
I have all my FactoryTalk activations tied to my NIC in my notebook.
One thing I found was when I am on the road I need to use a wireless broadband modem plugged into a USB port and for this to work I have to disable my NIC.
Unfortunately when the NIC is disabled the FT activation fails.
Regards Alan Case