Connecting PV Plus 400 to PLC 5/25 via DH+

gourakkal

Hi

I have an old machine that came from another company. It has PLC 5/25 CPU and a 1785-KE communication board with DH+ ports connected together with a belden cable. I believe this machine was connected with other machines in plant via DH+ network but not here. I am trying to install Panelview Plus 400 with DH+ Communication module. This new display replaces an absolete nematron unit that was not communicating with RS-232C port on 1785-KE board.

I have connected PV Plus 400 via DH+. I have connected my laptop to PLC via DH+ port and I can see the panelview plus on the DF1 connection in in the RS linx classic. In my RS view application I am using the tags from the PLC Program. I can run the program on the laptap and see that the program works as intended as it picks up the tag values from the PLC via RSLinx. Once I download the program to the display it does not work.

Do I need to use bit trasfer instructins to communicate with the display unit? If yes what would be the rack and slot number.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Shashi

You should be seeing the PV+ thru the DH+ not DF1.
Have you set up the DH+ node number in the comms tab of the PV+
What are the node numbers assigned for the PLC and the PV+

Have you set the shortcut in both devevlopment & runtime tabs of the communication setup.

The development shortcut must be Ok if the application is running on your laptop, so is the runtime shortcut configured as well?

Hi Gil47,

I am connected to DH+ port on PLC through my USB using RS Linx Classic. I am also connected to PV+ via ehternet cable. So I have two connections showing on my RSLinx Classic DF1 that shows the PLC, the Bridge connection and the PV+. And my ethernet connection shows PV+. I have set node No.as 4 on PV+ and it show that number in the RSLinx classic. It shoes Node 0 as workstation, 1 as PLC and 2 as the 1785-KE communication module.

When I go to communication settings on RSView enterprise on RSView, I see PV+ on the ethernet connection but nothing on the DH+ Connection. If I expand PV+ it shows the backbone and df1 and can not expand beyond that. It is due to the mix up of classic & enterprise versions of RSLinx.

To Ianingram: I do not have anything setup for the shortcut in Enterprise comunication setup. I am curious how is it working on my laptop. May be it is pulling the tag values using RSLinx classic DDE, I am not sure about it. But I can not see my PLC on enterprise communication setup to create the shortcut.

Both of your suggestions have guided me little further. Further help is much appreciated.

If in develpment mode works fine, you just have to configure the topic for the runtime configuration with the right driver and select a target PLC 5/25 with the correct node number and baud rate, compile the application and download to the PVP, and that should be all for it, hope it works for you, greetings.

Thanks for explaining your RSLinx Classic configuration with the USB/DH+ converter allowing you to see the PLC-5/25, the 1785-KE, and the PanelView+400 terminal on DH+.

If your FTView Studio is getting data from the PLC-5, it must be using RSLinx Classic as an OPC server.

That's fine, but for the project to work on your PV+400 terminal, the "Runtime" configuration of RSLinx Enterprise needs to be configured to use the onboard DH+ driver.

The biggest challenge is mixing the RSLinx Enterprise Shortcut name and the RSLinx Classic OPC Topic name. The PV+ application needs that name to point to RSLinx Enterprise, while development needs the same name to point to RSLinx Classic. You might have to delete the RSLinx Classic data server and the RSLinx Classic OPC Topic before you create a runtime and load the application to the PV+ terminal.

The first step is to use the RSLinx Enterprise offline configuration for the Target/Runtime tab to create the DH+ module driver and select a PLC-5 on DH+ to connect to.

DH+ Configuration on RS Linx Enterprise

Thanks for explaining your RSLinx Classic configuration with the USB/DH+ converter allowing you to see the PLC-5/25, the 1785-KE, and the PanelView+400 terminal on DH+.

If your FTView Studio is getting data from the PLC-5, it must be using RSLinx Classic as an OPC server.

That's fine, but for the project to work on your PV+400 terminal, the "Runtime" configuration of RSLinx Enterprise needs to be configured to use the onboard DH+ driver.

The biggest challenge is mixing the RSLinx Enterprise Shortcut name and the RSLinx Classic OPC Topic name. The PV+ application needs that name to point to RSLinx Enterprise, while development needs the same name to point to RSLinx Classic. You might have to delete the RSLinx Classic data server and the RSLinx Classic OPC Topic before you create a runtime and load the application to the PV+ terminal.

The first step is to use the RSLinx Enterprise offline configuration for the Target/Runtime tab to create the DH+ module driver and select a PLC-5 on DH+ to connect to.

Hi Ken,
You are right. I had an OPC server created and my application was pulling tag values from that server. Once I deleted the OPC server my application did not work any more on my Laptop.

I tried adding DH+ Network in the RSLinx enterprise with station number 4 and jumper 0. When I tried that I get a message "PKTX Failed to open the device driver for card with jumper ID 0. Driver may already be in use or check the jumper Id on PKTX card." I tried with other available jumper ID's (0 ~3) and I get same kind of messages. I can go ahead and add device PLC 5/25 to the DH+ driver with station number as 0 but the shortcut will not show me any online tags. And obviously my application does not work.

I am connected to PLC using USB to DH+ converter. And the RSLinx Classic is always running in the background. Will this affect, Do i Have to shut down the RSLinx classic. If so how can I do that.

Thanks a lot.

Maybe you should try this:

If the card is known to be installed properly and it is already known that RSLinx Classic does not have a driver that is using the card, simply try to restart the RSLinx Enterprise service and try again.
The above solution assumes the following
  1. The card plug and play driver is installed properly
  2. The DH+ network is wired and connected properly
  3. RSLinx Classic is not using the card

Hello everyone,

The suggestino was to create a shortcut on the local tab, once it is working, copy the shortcut to the traget/remote. In my case where I am connected to PLC via 1785-U2DHp, to PV+ via ethernet and PV+ & PLC are connected together through DH+ Network, I was puzzled as to how can I add a DH+ driver on the local tab when there is no DH+ port on my laptop.

I gave up trying to get it to work on my laptop and I decided to add DH+ driver and PLC 5/25 to it from the perspective of PV+. I created a short cut and copied it to target even though it gave me an error message when I created DH+ driver since there was none on my Laptop. I prefixed all the tags with the shortcut I created and downloaded the application to the PV+. Checked the terminal settings and device No. and reset the PV+ and started the application and it started working. Quite a relief for a friday afternoon after banging my head for a couple of days.

Every bit of advice has brougt me closer to the solution. I thank everyone for your valuable advices.