Talking to SLC500

Oceansoul

Hi.
I have a Fixed I/O SLC 500 (1747-L30A) and a PIC connection cable. Unfortunately my laptop has no Serial port. Ive read on here and the other forum that because the PIC needs precision timing for handshaking etc that i cant use a USB Serial emulator. So i was wondering if that is due to the USB'ness or because its not on the computers bus? What im thinking is that i could use a PCMCIA or Cardbus Serial converter, or would that just be the same as using USB??

TIA Gary

A PCMCIA serial card should work, but save yourself the aggravation and buy yourself a 1747-UIC... :nodi:

Added benefit... The UIC takes up a whole lot less space in your laptop bag!... :cool:

🍻

-Eric

Model #: USA-19HS

Email | PDF Version

High-Speed USB Serial Adapter
Keyspan by Tripp Lite

Enlarge/More Images

• Connects serial device to a USB port
  • Microsoft signed drivers
  • Supports data rates up to 230 Kbps
  • "Best in Class" compatibility
$45.99 MSRP*

Model #: USA-19HS

High-Speed USB Serial Adapter
Keyspan by Tripp Lite

Enlarge/More Images

• Connects serial device to a USB port
  • Microsoft signed drivers
  • Supports data rates up to 230 Kbps
  • "Best in Class" compatibility
$45.99 MSRP*

Sorry, this will not work with the PIC.

Take Eric's advice get the 1747-UIC. Also I don't believe the PCMCIA
to serial adapter would work.

work.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm ideally i was hoping not to have to purchase much :lol: the pcmcia adaptor is only a few ÂŁ from ebay.

I think ive noticed that many people on here work for themselves, or contractual firms writing and or fault finding? Im an apprentice for the Water Board in London on a large Water Works, in the ICA (Instrument, Control, Automation) department. So work supplies our kit. Unfortunately to most peoples anger we have just been given new laptops with no serial ports :/ we use PCMK cards for comms but have no PCMK to RJ45 leads :(

Anyone whose intrested at my site, and around the area we have PLC5, PLC5/250 Pyramid Integrators :eek: , SLC500, and Controllogix5000 systems, as well as Bristol Babcock RTU's.

If you had a USB/serial laying around, I'd at least give it a shot - I don't think it would hurt anything.

I've USB/RS232'd to Controllogix before and it worked fine (I know its a bad comparison...)

-John

The Allen-Bradley 1747-PIC will not work with any USB to serial converter.

The PCMCIA should work. I use one to talk to modular SLCs with DH485 ports (5/01, 02, 03).

GIT has a UIC replica that should also work at a fraction of the cost. I don't think it's been tested with the fixed hardware style, but as far as I know, the DH485 port is the same. I would bet he'd offer a money-back guarantee if it doesn't.

http://www.plctrainer.net/PLCProgrammingCables.htm

USB-PIC $84.95

Paul

No, PCMCIA to DH485.

I should have specified that I meant the 1784-PCMK. I ASSuMEd that's what Eric was referring to. After re-reading I see that he said PCMCIA to serial...

The OP needs the cable though...1784-PCM4/B (Change the "B" to "A" for series A PCMK card).

1784-PCM4 is the catalog number and retail cost is $325...for just the cable!

No, PCMCIA to DH485.

I should have specified that I meant the 1784-PCMK. I ASSuMEd that's what Eric was referring to. After re-reading I see that he said PCMCIA to serial...

The OP needs the cable though...1784-PCM4/B (Change the "B" to "A" for series A PCMK card).

1784-PCM4 is the catalog number and retail cost is $325...for just the cable!

Yep thats what we need. But my line manager refuses to get one due to the cost and we only have a handfull of 5/01's and this 1 Fixed SLC500. We used to have quite a lot of 5/01's but they were upgraded. We used to connect to these using the PIC cable in our old laptops.