Remote I/O

Jezz

Hi all,
The boss has finally given me permission to get rid of the PLC 2 :D :D :D and replace it with an RIO Adaptor and a RIO scanner in a nearby SLC 5/03 do I need a special cable to connect these two?

Does any one have any usefull links befor I start..

Thanks Jezz
(y)

As far as cabling, just the ordinary "blue hose" (usually Belden 9463) will do. When you purchase the scanner card for the 5/03, there should be terminating resistors with it that need to be installed at the physical ends of the network. For more information about the scanner card, see:

http://www.ab.com/manuals/io/1747/1747-in060d-en-p.pdf

Also, search the AB site for articles on block transfers. You will need how to program them in the 5/03 to address your non-binary data.

Good Luck,
Jeff

It's all binary at the moment we may add analog later but I might just put that in the 5/03 instead of on the RIO..

Jezz

Hi,
I've started reading the manual and it mentions using the Advanced programming software to configure the system can some one explain what APS is we have RS Logix 500 on site but I'm not sure about APS???

Jezz

I Think I've just found out how to do it in the I/O config right click on the scanner then Adv config .....

Am I right

Last edited:
APS is the old DOS programming software for the AB PLC's. There may still be a few copies in use out there, although I don't believe AB supports it anymore. You will be able to do everything you need to in RSLogix by going to the IO Configuration tab, highlighting the Scanner card, and clicking Advanced Configuration. This is where you will set up your G-Files, M file length, and do your remote rack configuration. This will make more sense when you have an actual scanner to play with.

Jeff

Oops..sorry....didn't see the last part of your post. It sounds like you're on the right track :)