Start/Stop Twido from Mangelis

kallileo

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi guys,
Is it possible to Start/Stop the execution of a program using a button on a Mangelis XBTN200?
Also I want to display the condition of the plc. If the plc is running the program I want "ON" to be displayed and "OFF" if the plc is stopped. I tried to use %S12 system internal register but it doesn't seem to work.

Thank you

Ok. Look what I want to do...
In a previous threadI started I had to create a program to control some pumps in a biological cleaning system.
It seems that the program runs without problems.
Now if for example the system needs to be turned off shouldn't I prevent the plc from running the program?
There is an option where Twido can be started in Running Mode or a switch can be used to Run/Stop the program.

I'm not really sure what I need to do? Do I also need to provide a way to reset the system?
Any help or advices will be appreciated...

Keept the PLC in RUN mode and insert a signal that interlocks the functions inside your program. The signal can be set/reset in your HMI.

What exactly do you mean "interlock the functions"?

Something like a closed contact that prevents the functions from executing?

This is worrying you have to ask such simple questions but are designing and programming systems for use in the real world, but thats not my problem, so:

Thats exactly what he means, ideally you dont want to be stopping and starting the PLC.

If you need to stop the pumps running so somebody can work on them then you need to have a safe isolation procedure, when the isolator is off retain power to your PLC but take an input in that tells the PLC not to run the related parts of the program.

There is a 3 position mechanical switch(Auto=PLC, OFF, Hand) that controls each pump...
So it's possible you cut the power from the pumps if you set the switch to OFF position.

I was just wondering if there are any reasons to have a button on display panel stop/start the program execution of the plc....

There is a 3 position mechanical switch(Auto=PLC, OFF, Hand) that controls each pump...
So it's possible you cut the power from the pumps if you set the switch to OFF position.

If you are talking about a safety disconnect for maintenance, this will not qualify as a lotto procedure here in the states. How ever Greece may be different.

I was just wondering if there are any reasons to have a button on display panel stop/start the program execution of the plc....

Perhaps the intent of the three position switch is to give the operators control of the pumps, if they are not satisfied with the controller's commands on a pump by pump basis.

Pop quiz:
1. If the PLC is not in run mode, will the Mangelis still work?

IMHO, and as others have pointed out, correct logic design should, in this application anyway, have absolutely no requirement to stop the PLC.

Which could lead to question no.2, has anyone ever done programmed a PLC to stop via a user function?

Do you have a manual for the Twido software?

If you need it (or are having trouble locating it) post back & I will see what I can do..

As other people have said, don't stop the PLC from executing its program..

Have a look at the conditional END instructions - you can program the PLC to "miss" executing lines of code under certain conditions..

There are many ways of skinning a cat...