10/100 lock up

John Hawkins

We have a LAN here at the plant. Phoenix PLC to a hub (switch). From here to 2 windows based HMIs and to our server via another hub. Both HMIs were locked up - no comunitation. others thought it was the CPU of the PLC. I got involved and reduced the system to just 1 HMI. coms resumed. added the second HMI coms OK. Connected the cable to the server, again locked up. So my ? is what would cause this. Thanks

Well, do you have a hub or a switch? They are very different.

What are ALL the settings? All ports on all devices should be set to "Auto Negotiate", unless you have some device more then 10 years old (even so, Auto is best).

What about addresses? Enough available? DHCP/BOOTP assigned? Static? Any duplicates? How is the cabling? Is there a bad network card? Bad connection? too much traffic?

What happens to the rest of the network when you hook it all up? How about the activity lights on the hub/switch?
Plugging one port of a hub/switch circularly into another port of the same one (or different if an existing connection exists) will take down an entire network unless you are using STP switches.

I've seen bad cat5 cables having a similar problem on data switches you mentioned that adding the server cable is where it locks up is this repeatable? If so replace the server cable or try replacing the cat5 ends

I would get a laptop to the hub (switch??) and ping everything from there. Cheap switch without IGMP snooping tend to lock up.

Which PLC are you using?

We are having a customer with a similar issue that is not yet resolved.

I know the ILC130/150/170 series go through a BootP request sequence on power up and then default to their assigned IP address after about 8 to 10 seconds. Is the network hanging when the PLC starts up or is the PLC running and then the server gets plugged in and brings down the comms.

In the cases I seen high resistance points interfereing with response handshaking signals by drawing too much current from the other circuitry. Though I've only seen this 2 times in 12 years so its extremely rare the other suggestions posted I would look into first other than recrimping new connectors which is quick easy and cheap particularly on a system thats been working for so long and suddenly not. Its probably cheaper to try this than replace the switch.