devicenet not working as expected

I am kind of lost here so i thought i would try you directly

I plugged my devicenet cable into a 1747-sdn scanner (ver5.0). I proceded to 'upload' or go on line with the unit. When I looked at the scanner i found the unit was 78 10, 78 19, 78 27, 78 32 and 78 24, 78 25.

These modules all exist they are physically there.

When i looked at the scanner image the cards were removed from the scanner image table.

I removed the scanner form the card rack and used my rack and my 5/04 processor I looked at the scanner using snp driver and found all the scanner image table to be complete.

Why will it not recognize these modules ?? the funny thing is it sees the omron input card next to the one it can't see, Input card adress 10 it misses and input 11 it sees.

I should be back in my office around 6:00 PM I will check back then.

Note there are some Omron output units that are also not recognized and these are DIRT-COM units (I have EDS 2.00 and these units are 1.00)

I will post the *.dnt file if this would help.

Thank you

Rick

One of the things you have to get used to with RSNetworx for DeviceNet is that it's largely a manual-operation software package.

When you "go online" with a network, RSNetworx doesn't necessarily do anything.

Usually it's been configured to browse the network when you go online. It doesn't have to; that can be a manually-commanded operation.

When you double-click on a device, RSNetworx checks the offline file's "configuration consistence value" against the online device. If the two are different, it requires you to either upload or download.

RSNetworx doesn't automatically upload or synchronize anything. You have to manually request an upload or download, or do them en masse with the "Upload Network" or "Download Network" functions.

Now, I've never seen an instance where the Scanlist of a 1747-SDN had different contents based on how you connected to the network. It's more likely that one project file has an uploaded copy of the scanlist and one doesn't.

When the scanner is displaying connection diagnostic code 78, it really truly genuinely cannot communicate with the slave devices. Error code 78 means that the scanner is trying to open an explicit message connection in order to use that to configure an I/O connection, and it's not getting any replies. This is an unambiguous error code.

My wild guess about what might be going on is that the Omron devices might have a limited capacity to make Explicit and I/O connections.

Let's say that the Omron devices can make an Explicit connection to just one device.

You connect to the network with your 1784-PCD, and let the Autobrowse do its thing, and the Omron nodes report back their identities when RSNetworx browses them. They then just sit, happily responding to the occasional browse commands, with their Explicit connection open to the 1784-PCD.

Along comes the 1747-SDN module. It wants to open I/O connections, but first it has to make an Explicit connection in order to negotiate the size and type of I/O connection. So it sends out an Explicit message request... but the Omron node doesn't respond because it is busy with its only Explicit connection talking to the 1784-PCD and RSLinx.

Now, if you connect to the network using RSLinx but you use the 1747-SDNPT driver, the 1747-SDN scanner is acting as a "message proxy". The Omron devices respond to the browse messages, thinking they come from the 1747-SDN. When the 1747-SDN sends an explicit message for I/O connection configuration purposes they accept the message because they aren't busy talking to another node.

Again, that's a wild guess. I haven't used these Omron devices, but that's the kind of "one peer at a time" behavior that I've seen from some simple devices.

One thing that may not have been clear, this was a running line at 9:00 AM this morning. All i did was connect to the scanner.

What I am suspecting is the 6 or so DRT1-COM links are at fault Omron supplied the EDS file for version 1.1 and the installed version is 2.00. Trying to use the EDS wizard with Allen Bradley does not create an EDS file that is the same as the original DRT1-COM.eds file. Anyone know where to get these so called EDS files as the Canadian website is not even close, searching for the EDS on the web is another issue, I wish I walked into an Allen Bradley array at least I would have been going home by now.

Hope this info helps.