Steeplechase & Devicenet

tmorgan

We've run into an old system that we are upgrading which is still running Steeplechase with Citect using Devicenet to Wago. I had some experience with Steeplechase 20+ years ago. We need to find out the IO addressing. I haven't worked on Devicenet. Does the Devicenet Master device have this information? From what I've read from my old Steeplechase Handbook, it only uses the tagname in Steeplechase. Any help is appreciated.

Doesn't the device running Steeplechase have to be the DeviceNet master? From what I remember of my limited exposure to Steeplechase, it maps the data received from the DeviceNet nodes to tag names.
Totally off topic, but I remember a training session on Cutler Hammer's version of Steeplechase. The first lab was to create a Steeplechase flowchart of a typical start/stop pushbutton seal and latch circuit. I commented on the irony of the choice to use Steeplechase for a task which was particularly well suited to ladder logic, especially since the solution was so ugly in flowchart format. The instructor told me I had a bad attitude.

Steve, I may be using the wrong terminology. There is DeviceNet device next to the computer that I assumed maybe did this, but maybe it is a scanner device. I'm to the site next week and am going to get on the PC and see what all is there. The previous integrator didn't leave any drawings so we need to find the addressing since this facility has a large number of IO across several nodes.

It seems to me that regardless of whether Steeplechase is the DeviceNet master or it communicates with a DeviceNet master, there will need to be a mapping table in the Steeplechase application that links a specific input or output from a DeviceNet node to a specific tagname in Steeplechase.